1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Mets could ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Jul 28, 2006.

?

... swap starting fives with the Marlins right now, just for this season, should they?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Like Beckett, Penny and Pavano in 2003?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, that makes him better than the Mets' rotation! Trade everyone for him now! [/dripping with sarcasm]

It's an impressive start. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Typically, the teams that win have a pitcher that has had some playoff experience. The '03 Marlins were an anomaly. I'm not taking anything away from them, as they were great in playoff year.

Looking at th 2006 Marlins, who is comperable to Josh Beckett? Who is their Brad Penny? Their Carl Pavano?

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

As you have articulated, the playoffs are a different animal.

Have to see how they would get through that.

Won't get a chance to this year.

But I would take Olsen, Sanchez and Johnson over Trachsel, El Duque and Maine.

And, I would take the Marlins' 5 over the Mets'

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

As I said, I'd definitely take the Mets' rotation for the rest of this year, especially after seeing Pedro pull it together tonight following a rocky beginning. As for the future, keep in mind that the Mets' rotation next year might include Zito and a more seasoned Pelfrey and Maine, not to mention Phillip Humber, a Pelfrey-like prospect who's throwing lights out in the minors right now. The Mets aren't without their share of young, power arms.

6. Weekly writer

Weekly writer Member

El Duque today in win over Braves: 8in 3H 7Ks

Had real good stuff, lots of movement. Had Andrew Jones baffled all day.
    Pedro, really settled in after a tough first, and won with less than stellar stuff.
    Maybe a trade isnt as crucial as previously thought??

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Glavine looks like burnt toast out there.

His outs are howitzer shots.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nice... unforunately for those sentiments... Benedict Thomas finally had a clean inning.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Typical Glavine outing. Shelled in the first and he's settled down since. Of course, the dog-ass lineup he's facing (with the exception of Ryan Howard) isn't exactly Murderer's Row.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted