1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Mets could ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Jul 28, 2006.

?

... swap starting fives with the Marlins right now, just for this season, should they?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm saying... the Marlins are better pitchers now.

What do you think the ERAs of Glavine and El Duque will be for the rest of the year?

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The Marlins have a great-looking young staff, but the playoffs are a different animal. It's about not getting rattled if you walk a couple of hitters, or figuring out a way to get by if you don't have your good curveball. It's not the same as pitching against the Philllies in July. Maybe the Marlins' kids can handle that pressure, but I need more than half a season of good ball for me to trust that they can (Dontrelle not included.) If I need someone to find a way to give me six good innings in October, I'd take Pedro, Glavine, El Duque and maybe even Trachsel over a bunch of young arms (and heads).

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Tom Glavine's July starts by the numbers:

DATE OPP RESULT IP H R ER HR BB SO GB FB PIT BF GSc DEC REL ERA*

Jul. 4 PIT W 7-6 5.0 11 5 3 0 1 3 8 7 109 27 31 - - 3.44

Jul. 9 FLA W 7-6 6.1 9 4 3 0 2 4 7 11 98 27 43 - - 3.48

Jul. 15 @CHC L 9-2 5.0 4 3 3 0 3 3 6 7 91 22 47 L(11-3) - 3.56

Jul. 20 @CIN W 4-2 6.1 9 2 2 0 4 1 5 7 102 31 44 - - 3.52

Jul. 25 CHC L 8-6 6.1 7 8 5 3 2 2 13 8 111 29 33 L(11-4) - 3.69

Monthly Totals 29.0 40 22 16 3 12 13 39 40 511 136 -- 0-2 0 3.69

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well, that's what I was looking for.

Thanks for that thought-out response.

I simply have none of that faith in anyone other than Pedro.... and we are also making the huge assumption that Pedro is healthy from here on out.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So are we discounting the first three months when he went 11-2 before July? Glav's never been a great second-half pitcher, but he usually picks it back up in September (although he's so-so in the playoffs, like Maddux.)

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Holy fuck, I said almost the same thing and you debated the merits of my post(s)! What in the name of The Nolan Ryan For Jim Fergosi trade is going on here?

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

That's a 4.97 ERA.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I thought you sort of ignored.... or perhaps weren't aware of... how well they are pitching this year.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're right about Glavine's ERA in July. My fault, as I mis-read the stats.

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I know they boast an impressive rotation. For a team with a payroll of $0.57, they're winning because of pitching.

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

If you play it perfectly... you can keep those guys for three seasons with that sort of payroll, right?

12. Weekly writer

Weekly writer Member

One thing I do know, is that I am looking forward to Pete's start tonight. It doesnt seem like he has been out for a month. They have more then held their own without him too.

John Maine responding the way he has with a potential spot in the rotation on the line is very nice to see. Pelfrey too for the most part.  The confidence Maine and Pelfrey seem to portray on the mound, compared to what Soler was demonstrating in his first few starts, is night and day. Soler looked scared to be there. Pelfrey and Maine look like they are on a mission.  Just seem to have the look of confidence.

Draft saved Draft deleted