1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If the Mets could ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Jul 28, 2006.

?

... swap starting fives with the Marlins right now, just for this season, should they?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Other than Dontrelle, the Marlins don't have a pitcher that the Mets want.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

BTW, you are getting beaten 1-0 in THAT thread.

I love when you throw disingenuous around like that and try to disguise it as clever.

One-trick pony.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I thought I was posing this question among a constituency that knows baseball....

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course, you ignore all the other support I've gotten in the other baseball threads. And wow, one vote!!! holy shit!!! You're like Martin, winning the election over Bart in The Simpsons because he's the only one to vote.

You are now and always a moron, and the simple fact you asked if the Mets should swap rotations with the Marlins in order to have the best chance at the World Series merely PROVES MY FUCKING POINT that you don't need the salary cap to compete. You're so goddamn simple, how can you not see the fallacy of you posting this topic?

Run along, rube, and let the smart kids talk baseball.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So, you're out...

If the Mets were building for three years from now, then, yes, the Mets need to swap rotations. But the Mets are dead-set on winning this year or next. As of today, the Mets have:

A No. 2  in Pedro.
    A No. 3 in Glavine.
    A boatload of No. 5s in Trachsel, El Duque, Maine, Pelfrey and Bannister.

In the pathetic National League, that might be enough to get into the World Series. Is it enough to win? Probably not.

But the Mets aren't going to trade Milledge and Pelfrey to Oakland for Zito, because Zito's going to explore free agency. Minaya wants to be sure he'll be able to sign Zito long term before giving up Milledge and Pelfrey. Dontrelle's probably not available.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yeah... and the Marlins have (right now... not in the future) two twos and three threes.

You said that Dontrelle is the only pitcher the Mets would want.

In slotting where the guys go in the rotation, I think Dintrelle is the only guy beaten out by a Met

Pedro over Dontrelle slightly
    Josh Johnson over Glavine
    Scott Olsen over Trachsel
    Anibel Sanchez over El Duque
    Ricky Nolasco over... whoever

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I love when you throw disingenuous around like that and try to disguise it as clever.

Saying you need a salary cap to compete deson't mean there isn't an exception.

No one on this whole board needed me to type that.... except for you.

P.S. Despite that exception, the Mets will still finish at least six games ahead of the Marlins this year

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you're building long term, then, yes, you go with the Marlins' rotation.
    But, save for Dontrelle, how many post-season games has this rotation won? Pedro's won playoff games. So has Glavine. So has El Duque.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You think Glavine is getting it back?

If he were 34, I'd agree.

El Duque... isn't that like betting on 0/00?

If Glavine comes back... all props to you.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The 2003 Marlins pitchers did pretty well with zero postseason experience....

You really buying that?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you're betting on futures, then you want the Marlins' starting rotation. The Mets want to win now. Pedro and Glavine can still win games for the Mets this season. El Duque probably ends up going to the bullpen during the playoffs.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Glavine's had one bad month, and you're writing him off as worse than Josh Johnson? Fuck, man. He's still 11-4. Now I know why A-Rod gets booed in that town ...

(And for the record, Glav hasn't been that bad in the Big Apple the last three years. His first year sucked the whole way through, but he also had five starts where he left with the lead and the bullpen blew it for him. In '04, he had three starts where he left with the lead and they blew it. Last year, he had five more starts where he left with the lead and they blew it. That's 13 wins he lost, which by my count, would put him at 299 if he had lucked out and gotten them all. So fuck Braden Looper. And fuck Armando Benitez.)

Draft saved Draft deleted