1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible things

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jul 28, 2007.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm not pointing out anyone in particular. I guess I'm just looking for a higher level of civility in the discourse.

2. Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

"We all view the world differently" but I'm a dick about expressing my views? Where did I call anyone a name? As you just did. All I did was ask someone to explain their beliefs while expressing mine.

You haven't seen me be a dick.

3. It would be nice if people stopped calling others names out of the guise of being the good guys or gals ...

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Agreed.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I was actually not referring to you. I didn't quote the other post and you beat me to the posting.

But thanks for the threat. It's real sweet.

6. Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

It wasn't a threat. I have no intention of being a dick on here. I'll leave that up to others.

7. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

I'm a newbie and I rarely post because I enjoy reading more than writing but when I saw this thread topic I sort of knew what direction it was going to take and it is a tough one because I struggle with this issue every day as I have a handicapped son.

He's a wonderful kid with a bubbling personality but he will never be able to take care of himself, never be able to go to college, never be able to participate in sports or music productions or drama club and do all of those things that so many kids get to experience.

Why would God, a loving God, create children and not give them even a fair chance to have a normal life? Why would he create kids who have a developmental disability, or who are sick more days in their short life than healthy?

I can't come to grips with it, it hardens me and on some days it causes me to question my faith. On most other days, however, I try hard to appreciate my son for being special, for being my son and most of all being a beautiful kid with a great big heart and figure I'll leave the tough questions for the day when I walk through those pearly gates and meet the man (or woman) myself.

It may be sappy but I just felt the need to post because we had a sermon just this week at my church about why God allows bad things to happen to good people and I had a hard time sitting through it without feeling, at least in some small ways, a little angry about it.

Thanks for listening.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Joel .. that was beautiful. I don't have children but I have a huge number of brothers and sisters, at least one of who is Alcholol Affected and one bears the scars of a mother who was drug and alcohol addicted. Nobody knows what they go through, especially since they are Aboriginal and thus have to deal with that prejudice and stereotype.

But people who don't know them or what they've been through, I don't blame them for their lack of knowledge. We are all handicapped in our own ways.

And my love to you and your son.

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

Joel, thanks for your earnest and thoughtful post.

WB, for the record, I don't think hockeybeat was justified in hurling names at you. Thanks also for sparing us your being a dick.

10. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

Thanks HC -- I think anyone would agree that any child is precious and my heart has always broken for kids who are born with a defect, be it mental or physical. It is a shame when I take my son to his classroom and I see all these other kids who never had a chance -- but then again, they are all happy, or at least they laugh and smile and do seem to be in a much better place to deal with their handicap than those of us adults who are dropping them off each day so what do I know?

Perhaps we should learn a thing or two from them -- particularly about how to treat each other -- instead of always trying to teach them the lessons.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Beautifully said. I have known a lot of mentally handicapped (our term) people in my life. They have frequently been the most happy and contented people I know.

12. Thanks, WI.

Draft saved Draft deleted