1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible things

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jul 28, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I have, you condescending little asshole. It's not a matter of pitying them. I question what the Higher Religious Entity's reasoning is to make one person whatever normal is and another mentally and/or physically retarded.

2. Here comes the name calling. Nice.

Easy killer, you're the one saying handicapped people are "damned" and likely did something to deserve being "damned." I was actually trying to be helpful in my last post because it's obvious you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about.

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I've wondered about this a bit lately too, but what hit me was a lot less subtle than HB.

The town I grew up in is small, and lots of kids get the hell out of there as quick as they can. There was a guy, quite a few years older than me, who graduated, played football at a nearby I-AA school and became a teacher and a coach. His dad always worked the sticks at varsity games with my dad and uncles; I barely knew him at the time, but our families were good friends. Needless to say, I admired the guy for how he went about things the right way.

He became a head coach at a nearby high school; his first year was my last in H.S. The two schools are now in different leagues, but that team, at the time, was awful. (I wasn't any great player but I had a career game that day.) I go through college and he's still building this program. By the time I'm done and go back to my hometown paper, he's built a consistent winner. His team made a few trips to states - in Pennsylvania, always an accomplishment - and he built nothing but goodwill along the way. It's hard to find anyone who can say a bad word about the guy (who has since retired from coaching b/c of health reasons).

Before I moved south, I covered his team with his son as the QB, then a sophomore. Kid had ability to play D-I football and actually spent some time at a I-AA before transferring to a nearby D-III school.

Then as I'm talking to my mom on Sunday, she reminds me of this kid - says he killed himself. 25 years old. I've tried to read up on it; the former coach posted on a local blog entry that his son had battled depression and OCD throughout his life.

And I try to wrap my mind around that maybe it's a small piece of some huge puzzle. But I can't get over why such a seemingly nice kid was troubled, and why his parents now have to go through such a heartbreaking event. It doesn't seem right.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Christ, guys. Let it go. Both of you.

5. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

About God, perhaps, but not about religion.

God does not equal religion, at least not in my opinion.
    Nor does religion equal God.

One is man-made.
    One made man, if you believe in God.

That's all I was saying.

6. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Forgot about this last night...Anyone see the movie Radio, with Ed Harris and Cuba Gooding Jr.?

Now I understand that although the movie was based on the life of Radio (Robert Kennedy), it is possible the director took some artistic liberty.

HB: That movie, in my opinion, might answer some of your questions on this topic. Radio appeared to enjoy life and it appeared he taught some important lessons to those around him (teachers, students, parents), all of whom were more intelligent and supposedly were better off than he was.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

What if God was one of us?

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Is that why so few people win multi-millions playing the lottery? :D

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Yeah, I bet that "Bible Camp" movie is a really good way to get a full representation of evangelical Protestants in the U.S., just like assuming Ralph Reed, the late Jerry Falwell, and Paul Crouch fully represent the same group.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Um, that's a line from a Kevin Smith movie. There was a mini Smith threadjack early on. . .

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Breakyoself's post was a line from Clerks 2. ::)

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

Wow, sorry. I've even seen that movie. Something an evangelical Protestant probably shouldn't be watching. Breakyoself, I am sorry, and you can jump at me for being a zealot if you wish.

Draft saved Draft deleted