1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible things

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

I don't see anything in this thread that seriously takes a swipe at religion.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

god answers all prayers. Sometimes, the answer is no.

3. Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

Some people think questioning God is a negative. That's why I don't believe in organized religion.

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Well, when the question suggests strongly that the entity was sitting at home and for kicks decided to "damn" the kid for life, most would consider that tone to be negative.

One of my uncles on my father's side was born with downe syndrome. He led a full and happy life -- he didn't know he was "damned." He followed sports, particularly his fave NFL team. He was like a guardian angle to me while I was growing up. When I got old enough we talked sports all the time until I moved away.

And if you believe in the way God often works, the unconditional love many individuals with downe syndrome (or other issues) dish out to the rest of us might be meant to remind us all of how things could be.

Not that we'll ever get there, though.

And you could argue that some individuals with downe syndrome have it better than many of us. They likely don't understand fully how f---ed up this world has become.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How do you know he can't or doesn't enjoy life? Maybe he can't or won't accomplish the ideals you hope to achieve in life, but that doesn't mean they're eternally unhappy and doomed either.

I grew up next door to a guy with MS and he had a multitude of limitations, but I'll never ever say he didn't enjoy life. Because he did.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Personally, I feel that God allows some bad things to happen as a test (think Job, minus the Leviathan) for all of us. I've always felt that He wants us to reveal, not to Him, but to ourselves what our true character is. Maybe I'm reading WAAAAAAAY too much into Bruce Almighty, but maybe He intends certain bad shit to happen in order for other things in His plans to happen, too.

For example, let's say Bush actually did the right things when concerning Katrina (whatever they may be) instead of leaving large parts of N.O. a wasteland. Maybe a large portion of our population wouldn't be stunned and shaken out of complacency and decide to start taking positive action; making a good difference in the world. I know this is such an idealistic POV, but I don't fool myself into expecting for the best outcome to be the end result. The '04 Red Sox robbed me of that ability. But I hope that is the reason why some things in the world happen the way they do.

Oh, before this gets any further...

This thread will not end well.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're right, I don't know if he enjoys life. I was bothered by the thought that A Higher Religious Entity that preaches love would make someone mentally retarded. For what purpose? And what did the guy do in a previous life to be chosen to be mentally retarded?

8. Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

So you believe the "mentally retarded" are being punished for something they did in a past life??

Holy fucking shit! :eek:

9. Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

... so not only are they "mentally retarded" - they have damaged or bad souls that are being punished?

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't know if they're being punished for something they may or may not have done in a prior lifetime. It just seems cruel to me that A Higher Religious Entity would have a hand in creating a person who is mentally and physically retarded.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Having "bad souls" return in the form of a mentally retarded person seems spiteful. I would think God would rather some spend purgatory (also a controversial issue) as someone with all their faculties, but put in an ironic situation, like a guy with a voracious, irresponsible sexual appetite coming back as a guy who has bad luck with women. Of course, you know, I could be wrong...

12. Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

I don't know what to tell you, HB. Might help if you spent some time around someone who is mentally handicapped or their parents ... maybe you'd pity them less and admire them even more ...

Draft saved Draft deleted