1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible things

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Jul 28, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

While I was walking to my subway today, I passed a father walking with his son. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Except that the father was in his fifties and his son was mentally retarded.

I glanced at them for a second, then put my head down, ashamed and confused. If whatever The Higher Religious Entity is good, why would it damn someone with a life that cannot be enjoyed? The son had to be in his 30s, and he will never be able to fall in love or have a career or get married and have kids. He won't be able to do simple things like go to the bathroom by himself. What did this guy do to be damned for life?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think the Higher Religious Entity is much involved in our day-to-day lives. I think she worries about the big overall picture in the universe and spends the rest of her time playing ski-ball.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not if Azrael and his minions have anything to say about it.

4. Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

How about do the guy a favor and not pity him. I'm sure he doesn't need your precious pity.

Who's to say he won't fall in love or have a career? I know plenty of "mentally retarded" people who have their own apartment and job. And if he's walking I'm sure he can probably wipe his own butt.

5. sportschick

Not true. Walking is no guarantee of being able to go to the bathroom on your own or even being able to not need a diaper. It's not uncommon to see a profoundly retarded individual be able to walk, but it's very rare to see one that can go to the bathroom unassisted.

6. Not uncommon but not a given either. How can you know just by walking by someone? Point is, if he's spending time with some rather than just observing and pitying, he might find that there's more than meets the eye.

7. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

like transformers. which bible camp proved are a gift from god because god created people and people created the transformers. the flow chart proved it.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I see we are striving to meet our quota of religion-is-a-heinous-thing threads today.

9. sportschick

Bartleby and Loki are coming for all of us.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Re: If The Higher Religious Entity is so good, why does he/she/it do terrible th

Gene Stallings has a son, Johnny, with Down Syndrome.

Johnny is in his late 30s, maybe close to 40 years old.

Stallings has had a pretty happy life with a good wife, family and success as a football coach.

He loves his son, who also loves him.

I think Gene and many others, especially those who have deep faith in God or another "higher entity," would disagree with your assessment.

11. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

My oldest brother suffered a seizure when he was 3 and was left mentally retarded.

We've been around mentally and physically handicapped people all our lives. We've been very active in Special Olympics and other such organizations. Watching those kids compete is as good as it gets.

We have been blessed to have him in our family. He works hard, he is always cheerful and he totally cracks me up with his Roscoe P. Coltrane impersonation.

We know some families who have gone through immense trials with their handicapped children. Some physical handicaps are absolutely brutal and wear on the parents and family members.

However, in all our dealings with families that have physically and/or mentally handicapped children, I don't recall a single instance where they complained about their lot in life, or that they were mad at God for making their kids this way. And I don't believe that any of them felt like their lives were damned because of their handicapped kids.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

While I'm not a religious person by definition, I believe the Higher Entity is constantly passing us tests of strength. The situation of which you speak should be considered one of the ultimate tests.

I spent the winter working for a disability non-profit. I can tell you I am 85 per cent sure I don't have the strength to face such a situation and that makes me pretty sure I won't take the chance on reproducing.

Draft saved Draft deleted