1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Serena Williams were white...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Yeah cause people don't add muscle in their 20s ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

jesus christ that is going to haunt my dreams for weeks.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Certainly proof of something.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Doesn't prove shit considering she has about the same amount of muscle, just not as tone.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Haven't many tennis experts said the Williams sisters were great athletes playing tennis, but not great tennis players? Seems as if someone like Martina or Chris in their primes could find a way to defuse the athleticism.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a ridiculous line of thinking. In What possible way are they not great tennis players?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

An expert would never say something so stupid. Maybe that their technique or form wasn't classic, but you could say the same for Steffi Graf, whose swing was so late it looked like she was hitting forehands off her hips.

Venus began playing when she was 4 years old. It's not like she came on off a decathlon meet one day, picked up a racket and started beating everyone.

Next thing we'll hear is that Martina Hingis made up for her lack of athleticism by being "smart."

10. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Not gonna haunt mine. Something else entirely.

11. That doesn't say much for Azarenka's intelligence or mentality. There was one stretch where Serena won back-to-back Australian Opens, but never would have gotten past the fourth round if Azarenka hadn't melted in the heat on both occasions. Both times, Azarenka had Serena beaten but the decision to leave the roof open caused her collapse or forced her to quit the match.

Azarenka's the one player who shouldn't have any reason to fear Serena. If she can't recognize that, I might have to re-assess my thought that she'll eventually win a Slam.

Draft saved Draft deleted