1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Serena Williams were white...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it was beloved despite his tirades...

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think he ret-conned his tirades by spoofing them or embracing them for comedic effect as an ad spokesman and in cameo appearances. YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS became his catchphrase, so much so that Googling that phrase gives you a page full of McEnroe videos and references.

3. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Well we know where she gets it from (I'm in the pro-Venus camp).

This is a quote from the AP story I pulled today.

"It's just always something," said Williams' mother, Oracene Price. "And it seems to happen to us."

Yep, we should all pity you and your girls because the refs pick on you all the time.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The reason no one likes the Williams family personally is because no one knows them personally.

They are only known by their public and competitive personas. They've shared nothing of themselves besides their athletic talents and their complaining, whoa-is-us bad attitudes.

The only one who has shown some positive sides of herself (Venus) has some fans who will say and give anything more than an acknowledgement of great athletic prowess. That's no coincidence, and the rest of her family should follow her lead.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Whoa-is-us" is the lament of every cowboy family everywhere.

6. Mizzougrad96

Not that we should be judged by our parents, but holy shit was their father a complete piece of work.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

8. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Me, too! And turning the question around, if Serena were white, would the powers of tennis walk on eggshells around her?

And McEnroe wasn't beloved as a player. His talent was, though. Neither as Conners, until he was in his later 30s. Borg was beloved.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

1) Just FYI, a local tennis pro I talked to today said it was a clear violation. It's in the book and there is no gray area. In fact, he said when he was watching it live, he turned to his wife (before the call was made) and said, "She can't do that."

2) The funniest line in the tirade: "Who would do such a thing? And I never complain. Wow. What a loser."

11. Mizzougrad96

That was the exact amount I thought of when I saw what the actual fine was.

It's about as significant as fining one of us a nickel.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This has a NIKE commercial written all over it.

McEnroe v. Serena

Draft saved Draft deleted