1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Serena Williams were white...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Speaking of Serena, I have a colleague who is greatly amused by the WTA's website putting her weight at 150 pounds. (It shows Venus at a realistic 160.)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I definitely think McEnroe was beloved.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Serena's left thigh is 150 pounds.

Then again, when driver's licenses had weights, I never changed mine from when I was 17 and got it the first time. I didn't gain weight for 14 years!

4. Mizzougrad96

Serena Williams = Barry Bonds.

5. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

I want to get back to the Tiger Woods heel-turn. How awesome would that be? Picture him walking from the range to the first tee at Augusta with some crazy speed metal or angst metal blaring...and Bobby Heenan off-camera saying, "Good LORD! That's TIGER WOODS' MUSIC!!!"
    There are endless possibilities.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good lord, the things people think up..

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If Serena Williams were right?

http://deadspin.com/5839291/

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

You're right. Unfair of me to lump them both in there together like they're one in the same. It should have been more directed at Serena because this wasn't her first rodeo doing this stuff.

9. Mizzougrad96

I have a problem with the WDs especially when they would have had to play each other... Nevermind the times they did play each other and it seemed to be pre-determined who would win.

Venus is very class and pleasant to deal with based on my limited experiences and it's safe to say, Serena was not.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

John McEnroe wasn't beloved for his tirades.

Competitively, he was/is "beloved" (not a word I would have used, but I'll go with it) not only because of his talent and skills but because his playing career was largely defined by lasting, compelling rivalies with Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors.

Outside of her sister, that aspect of competition has been largely missing from Serena's career.

I would submit that McEnroe actually has become more beloved, in a real sense, over the course of his post playing career as a broadcaster, when he was put into a role and given a forum in which people could realize, on a wide scale, just how intelligent, on-point and right he usually is when it comes to tennis.

He is one broadcaster whose body of work in that field has actually lent a whole new perspective, and perhaps, understanding, to his playing career.

As with any compelling rivialry, Serena hasnt yet had the benefit of any positive post playing forum, either. She just comes off as a spoiled brat and a jerk. End of story, at least so far.

For McEnroe, it wasn't the end of the story.

11. Mizzougrad96

I don't disagree. I remember going to an exhibition where it was McEnroe, Borg, Connors and Noah and this would have been early 80s when Borg was the best of the bunch and McEnroe was the star of the show.

Then again, he did go to college an hour from where I grew up, so maybe it was more of that...

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Everybody has their own recollections of events thirty years ago, but my memory is that whatever goodwill Mac received, much was due to his unfailing commitment to the U.S. Davis Cup. He certainly wasn't beloved because of his tirades.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted