1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Serena Williams were white...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 11, 2011.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

It's a math thing. You put it at the end of a proof to indicate that you've successfully proved something.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of these days when Serena launches into one of these tirades, the opponent needs to either a) throw down her racket and scream, "SHUT THE FUCK UP AND PLAY YOU SCREWLOOSE SCREAMING C .... " right in front of the umpire,

(the word we dare not say for fear of banning but it has something to do with seeing you next tuesday)

or, if she happens to have a spare ball in her pocket, wind up and see if she can deliver a 100 mph serve either right between Serena's eyes or straight to the babymaker.

Or, if Serena starts carrying on and the umpire doesn't completely stomp on her, beat her at her own game -- sprint up to the umpire's chair and scream, loud enough for all the mikes to pick up, "How long are you going to take that fucking bitch's bullshit? We all get to sit here and wait while Queen Serena pisses her panties? Tell her to shut the fuck up or default her bitching ass."

Sometimes the way to deal with bullies is to see if you can send them over the top.

Sure it might fire her up and she kicks your ass, but given history there's about a 70% chance she'd go completely bonkers and probably default.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

®

4. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

#2 winner

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. I've been sick of the Williams sisters' entitlement act for about 15 years.

Exit, stage right. And good for Stosur for becoming the first Aussie woman in 31 years to win a Grand Slam title. The point had nothing to do with the match other than to shine a spotlight on what a whiny, crabby, pain in the ass Serena is.

6. You know, I'm no fan of either Williams sister, but it really isn't fair to call it their entitlement act like they both behave like toddlers.

There was a time when that was true, but to her credit, Venus eventually figured it out and matured. Serena never did and probably never will.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Venus has always been a class act.

I figured "entitlement act" would have been reserved for Compton sisters who were on public benefits and having publicly funded abortions. Guess I was wrong.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I have more of a problem with the constant WDs from one tournament after another, when they look like they're in better shape than any female athletes on the planet. They sure seem fragile.

McEnroe would explode and a lot of times it would pass in an instant. Serena goes on these whiny, hurtful and even threatening tirades (I'll shove a ball down your throat; don't look my way, you're a hater, blah, blah, blah) like that particular line judge made it her mission to screw her over that morning.

And yes, they have acted entitled and seem to expect the tennis world to throw rose petals in their path when they do bother to show up and play a tournament.

9. MisterIrrelevant

MisterIrrelevant Active Member

Watched the play that caused this controversy live, and Serena is clearly in the wrong. She clearly hit a winner and got excited about it but you cannot scream as the opponent is about to hit the ball, albeit feebly. Clear violation in her part.

Calling this a race issue is ludicrous, as it is more an issue of the Williams' attitude toward anyone that seemingly wrongs her. At one point, she actually said in a long spat between changeovers that she never argues with referees, which is precisely what the Williams sisters, specifically Serena, are known for.

Basically, she acted like a spoiled prima donna tennis player angry that she was called for an obvious infraction ... as if how dare the tennis establishment criticize the beloved and ever so talented Williams. This was more of a reaction to how badly she looked on the court yesterday. Of course that outburst pumped up Serena and the Open crowd for a short spell but black or white, Serena was immature and her actions were completely uncalled for. Sure, Serena has played dominant tennis at times, but acting like a brat when things don't go her has nothing to do with race.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Maybe Venus should just play through her Sjogren's Syndrome like you advocated Steven Strasburg pitching through elbow stiffness.

Criticize Serena all you like, because she deserves it for some of her outbursts, but stop lumping Venus in there just because it's convenient. Venus is one of the most gracious people on the WTA tour. You keep acting like stuff she did 13 years ago happened last week.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Venus had all the reason in the world to go ballistic when the umpire GOT THE SCORE WRONG in a tiebreaker at Wimbledon in a set she would go on to lose. Instead, she just said at the press conference that it was her fault, that she just assumed she had lost track of the score and that "I'll learn from it."

And that was about seven years (and a dozen or so Serena tantrums) ago.

Well, when you lacerate your foot and then have a pulmonary embolism, you may still "look" like a great athlete, but you aren't gonna be playing any tennis for a while.

And also remember that part of the reason they are still playing at age 30 and 31 --- after players such as Hingis and Henin and Clijsters have come and gone and come back and gone again ---- is because they didn't burn themselves out. Clijsters lost almost a year to a wrist injury, came back, then quit for two years, came back, then missed almost all this year with an ankle injury and a torn stomach muscle.

12. Count me in the pro-Venus group. She seems like a class act. And count me in the anti-Serena group for her ongoing poor sportsmanship. She was way out of line again in the final.

I was surprised to hear that Serena gave Stosur some credit after the final. When Serena loses, she usally goes with the "I clearly didn't play my best" line instead of crediting her opponent.

Draft saved Draft deleted