1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Serena Williams were white...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Would tirades like this make her as beloved as John McEnroe?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/09/us-open-serena-williams-upset-in-finals-by-samantha-stosur.html

I say probably so, but I imagine this will engender a bit of a backlash.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I didn't know McEnroe was beloved for his tirades until his post-career work. I don't care for tennis much, but I always heard McEnroe referred to as a douche -- and that made him appealing in entertainment value, not beloved.

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

McEnroe was occasionally entertaining in his tirades, but he also had some real asshole moments -- one time he was DQ'd from a match because he asked the line judge to engage in carnal relations with his own mother. He was more than willing to play it up for laughs in his post-playing career, which helped reform his legacy ... a bit.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way." doesn't make anyone beloved. Not McEnroe, not Connors, not Pancho Gonzales and not Serena.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Is bellowing before a ball lands and, presumably, the opponent hits it the same or similar as A-Rod swatting the first baseman's glove?

Bad gamesmanship? Poor form?

Tennis needs to serve PBR tallboys, crank up some Metallica and lighten up.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Tennis isn't baseball or football for that matter. Don't try to make it so. It has clear rules with practically no gray area. This isn't the first time Serena has acted like a spoiled brat who is full of herself. Don't celebrate the point until it is over. Pretty clear rule.

Tennis is tennis.

6. Key

Key Well-Known Member

I didn't see the outburst, but I also don't remember McEnroe being a "beloved" tennis player. He was a "love him or hate him" kind of player, which is probably exactly where Serena is.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Serious answer: Gender might have more to do with it than race when it comes to how tennis tantrums are viewed.

Joke answer: If Serena was white she could hook up with white Michael Vick and have the most athletic white kids on the planet.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I don't remember McEnroe being beloved as a player. Not at all. If McEnroe were black would he have been beloved?

9. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Why bring race into it?

10. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Good question.

11. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

The worldwide leader & the NY Times has been beating the drum for the sisters of Compton since age 13...race has been an issue from the very beginning!!

12. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Wasn't Serena the one who said she was gonna shove a ball down someone's fucking throat? That is way worse than this.

Draft saved Draft deleted