1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If rugby makes sense to you...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by audreyld, Dec 2, 2006.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

... please give me a little advice.

I'm shooting a match in a few hours (it won't be the last, and I'll likely have more questions when I get back), and I'd like to be prepared. I watched some youtube video of the All Blacks, and wikied the rules, but I'd like to get some more general info about what to expect.

Flash, if you're around here somewhere, I know you've shot the game, and I'd love to hear what you have to say from that perspective.

Thanks, crew.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If Greg Oden's father is in the crowd, make sure and get a few shots of him. ESPN didn't do enough of that Wednesday night.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The best rugby shots usually come from scrums, or from (and I can't remember the term right now) when they're fighting for a free ball with a player from each team up on the shoulders of their teammates.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

A lineout, I think, Doc.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I know more of you know about rugby. Help a girl out here.

:)

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a lineout. It's a set piece used to restart the game after the ball went out of bounds (or as it's called in the game, "into touch"). Scrums, lineouts and penalty plays (when you hear the referee tell one team to get "back 10") are the only set pieces in the game. The rest is kind of free-flowing.
    I might be able to find you a link that has advice on shooting the game.
    Be right back.

7. Smallpotatoes

Here is that link:

http://wesclark.com/rrr/photo.html

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Excellent, Tots. That was incredibly helpful. Thank you.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Rugby is an awesome sport. Good luck shooting it. Let us know how you did.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Well, one match down. I haven't looked at my photos yet, but it was an absolute blast. Here's hoping some are decent.

11. Smallpotatoes

I actually started playing the game this spring after 18 years away from it. I was the oldest, slowest guy on the team and didn't get a lot of playing time, but I had a great time, left every game in my own car instead of an ambulance and look forward to the spring when I might be making the trip to Savannah for the St. Patrick's Day tournament.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Didn't shoot rugby, but I did a local feature a couple years ago. Interesting sport. Think of shooting it like you would a football game.

Draft saved Draft deleted