1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If O.J. Simpson died tomorrow ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jun 29, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm trying to be nice, but that was my gut reaction, too.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I shouldn't be doing so, but I'm loving and laughing at the "Naked Gun" references. :D

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Damn it man, I'm a journalist, not a psychiatrist!

So I don't really know whether the tendency to pedophilia is an unavoidable sickness or just a deviant behavior.

I do know that Michael Jackson had many factors in his life that contributed to his general strangeness (in the eyes of so-called "mainstream" society) and his eventual complete snap. Might be better to examine those reasons instead of just saying "Sickness!" or "Evil!"

Yes, yes, that's no excuse, etc. etc.

But speaking as a human being, it might mean such deviant behavior is preventable. And journalistically speaking, it contributes to how fascinating his story is. Which is why I'm reluctant to see this little side debate as simply being . . .

(wait for it, wait for it . . .)

Black or White.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

....Fred Goldman would have to find someone/something else to occupy his time.

5. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

Let's not forget that Simpson was also convicted of kidnapping, assault, robbery, and use of a deadly weapon.

So even if you give him a free pass on the murder charges, he is guilty of multiple violent felonies.

6. I don't think that's a completely inaccurate reading.

I suppose more focused on prevention - and for those affected, recovery - than retribution and fault-finding, which can make us feel better but can be counter-productive.

And just for some context, I am a lifelong Catholic who did not get married in the church because of the decades long cover-up. So to twist this into somehow "excusing" or minimizing child molestation would be very inaccurate.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I have all the respect in the world for that guy. He realized he doesn't have the power to put OJ in prison (though OJ ultimately did that himself), so he's made it his mission to make the guy miserable by every means available to him. I'd like to think I would do the same.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Found that ... on a message board framed as a news story but with no actual link and no mention of where the "story" came from.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

In other news, Emmanuel Lewis' ass is still sore.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Unlike Simpson, Jackson paid the alleged victim's family.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think OJ would get the reverse treatment - 2/3 negative, 1/3 recalling his glory days. Oh, and Fred Goldman would find as many cameras as he could. Even before his wife was killed, those close to OJ knew he wasn't much of a humanatarian.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Michael Jackson ultimately was a tragic figure who possibly/probably/perhaps likely committed a heinous act against children. He also was a guy who entertained a lot of people, gave a lot of money to worthy causes, and produced some rather seminal music in his prime.

O.J. Simpson is a guy who carried a football for a few years, gave some forgettable performances in some equally forgettable films, talked about football, possibly/probably/maybe likely murdered his ex-wife (and her friend) and then spent a lot of time carving a niche as a rather smarmy individual.

So I'd say the coverage might be 3/4 negative when he passes away.

Draft saved Draft deleted