1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If newspapers fall in the forest...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HeinekenMan, Jul 20, 2006.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Ah, but twoback, see what's happening in Santa Barbara as an example of "be careful what you wish for."

2. VJ

VJ Member

I called you an idiot, I don't know how to give it to you any more straight.
    Maybe at your podunk paper, I don't recall any egregious fuckups on my part.
    Do you have any proof of this, aside from falling circulation numbers? You obviously have not heard of the Scientific Method.
    Pretty sure my journalism degree says I do.
    Anything else?

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

VJ, if I wanted to, I could create a thread and have about 100 posts to the character limit about all the stupid shit designers have pulled, and that's just the stuff I'm aware of.

You may claim that's not proof, but then we're back to idiot designers spouting bullshit about how they're not to blame when they are precisely to blame.

The design-based approach has been a colossal failure in every aspect, and if managing editors weren't gutlessly cowering in their offices doing critiques and hiding from the publishers, the problem would have been dealt with long ago.

4. VJ

VJ Member

What's your point? Only designers make mistakes in newsrooms? Writers and copy editors and editors are flawless?

Designers who don't know the first thing about the subject they are designing are not good designers. You may have encountered some of them along the way at the various crappy papers you have worked for. Sorry to hear that.

Maybe if you weren't such a douchebag failure in life you would have been able to work with some talented and smart people. Shame that hasn't worked out for you.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

If I still have to spell out my point after all that, you have some big comprehension problems.

6. VJ

VJ Member

I know, I blame my nationally-accredited journalism school and one of the top universities in the country for my poor education skills.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Wow! Your journalism school was nationally-(sic)accredited? I guess that changes everything.

Draft saved Draft deleted