1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If MSNBC went off the air tomorrow, what difference would it make?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 24, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This is one of the greatest sentences I've read on this site.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Sadly, the bolded part is true. Or to be more precise: The rank-and-file think a news source is "tell me what I think the world should be like, not what the world really is like."

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The Ronan Farrow show debuted this afternoon. It was a very special kind of dumb. He tried to convince viewers that he went deep into the secret internet to find a guy who dumpster dives for weed in Denver.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Again, a beltway conservative's idea of somebody the "libs" will be really interested in listening to.

Not to mention the perfect FOX stereotype ... of somebody the "libs" would be really interested in listening to.

I suppose maybe Moon Unit Zappa was busy.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine he impressed someone high up the ladder at MSNBC at a cocktail party, sent a note to a lackey and the lackey wanting to ingratiate him or herself with the boss, figured Farrow should get a show.

Loved the line about growing up on Murrow and Cronkite. Murrow was dead when Cronkite retired. Ronan Farrow was five years away from being born.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Unlike, CNN, MSNBC rarely covers breaking news: hurricanes, fires, hostage situations, etc. They don't have the manpower. If something blows up somewhere, they get a feed from the local NBC affiliate and do voiceovers from the studio. CNN, on the other hand, has actual people on the ground whenever and wherever possible.

At MSNBC it's all politics. It's a great source for the inside dope on the what the mean old Republicans are doing behind our backs.... some obscure bills in the Idaho state assembly that would allow discrimination against poor little gay people and stuff like that. Then they bring in their panel of "experts", which are usually just more talking heads from some other media outlet or liberal think tank or university. But most of the talk is idle chatter and has no relevance to the actual world most viewers live in.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Keith Olberman has not watched MSNBC since 2009

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/olbermann_hasnt_watched_msnbc_since_2009

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I thought those were sole property of SportsJournalists.com.

9. old_tony

Must ... refrain ... from ... noting ... how ... the role comes so naturally to them.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What exactly has Ann Coulter ever done to qualify as an "expert" for Fox News?

11. old_tony

Being right about everything is a good start.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mainly because, a) they want money, and b) they've been inculcated with the bend-over, give-peace-a-chance, kumbayah pussy mindset. They feel they are somehow gaining the nobility of martyrdom when they allow themselves to be flogged on behalf of all liberals.

About the only "con" I ever see doing anything similar is Michael Steele, although he frequently slips into Will McAvoy territory so you suspect he never really believed much of his shit in the first place.

Draft saved Draft deleted