1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If MSNBC went off the air tomorrow, what difference would it make?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Not butt-hurt at all. I just think the "Look at me, I'm leaving" announcements are silly.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

I think more people would be sympathetic to Baldwin if he had limited his complaints to people following his wife around and ignoring the fact she has their child in her arms when they start shoving cameras in his face. And he has a valid point about how everyone and their brother now has smartphones with which they use to take pictures and videos of whatever he's doing, to the point it seems he is no longer allowed privacy for even a moment.

The problem is he turned it into a whole rant about himself, to the point nobody will believe him when he says he's done talking about himself.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Here's the thing: Alec Baldwin has always been a blowhard. A blowhard who can act, a charming blowhard, but a blowhard.

Do we forget how enraged he was after the deal with his daughter?

I'm just saying this is nothing that should surprise, it's in line with his MO, and there's every chance he'll jump in front of the camera next chance he gets.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I kind of like Joe and Mika in the morning when I do tune in. But, that's not often since I'm watching Imus.
    Cannot stand Meadow, but it's her style more than anything else.

Thirded or fourthed what Michael said.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The presence of Scarborough on the network in a key decision-making position (he can and does blackball guests from other shows) reveals what a total fraud and charade MSNBC is. His little sidekick bitch Mika needs to buy some kneepads and go join her lover the Two Tons of Fun so she can apply her tongue directly to his flabby fleshy sweaty stinky nutsack rather than only symbolically every morning on teevee.

Scarborough is essentially the real-life counterpart of Will McAvoy. It's something similar to what it would be like if FOX hired Howard Dean to do a morning program (they probably ought to -- he would be a zillion times more fun than the idiots they have in there).

FOX viewers DO NOT WANT to watch a howling lib like Dean on a morning show (or any show for that matter). Why would you ever put him on there? Yet MSNBC has no problems, in fact they appear to relish, shoving Scarborough down the collective throats of their audience who should revile him.

MSNBC is, FAIAP, the political/philosophical equivalent of blackface/Stepin Fetchit skits from movies in the 1930s: the entertainment moguls' idea of what 'those people' look, sound and act like.

As far as Baldwin is concerned I haven't read or heard what he said and I don't care anyway. His MSNBC show failed utterly and spectacularly on its own (lack of) merit. I watched a total of about 45 minutes of it and I had seen enough.

Fuck 'em all. Shut 'em down.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

FNC is the media arm by which the GOP is controlled. It's a utility.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Exactly. Who else is going to dumb down the Heritage Foundation policy statements?

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I thought the Koch brothers controlled it.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

FNC is the arm. It's not the brain. It's the apparatus.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

MSNBC has lost all credibility as a news outlet. They're just the polar opposite of Fox News.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

No, because MSNBC devotes its entire morning show to "the other side," and gives its namesake star effective programming and personnel control over the whole network so essentially the whole network is an establishment conservative's idea of what 'liberals' should like or be like.

No "lib" ever appears on FOX in any capacity except as a stooge or rhetorical punching bag -- the setup man for hours of one-liners.

MSNBC "libs" such as Bashir and Harris-Perry are constantly forced to stoop, apologize and resign for hurting the delicate feelings of butthurt conservatives while no FOX host I can ever remember has ever been forced out or apologize for the "offense" of offending liberals -- much to the contrary, they usually glory in it. Why not? That's what they're there for (at least theoretically).

Not only does MSNBC bring a rubber croquet mallet to a sledgehammer match, they then proceed to hit themselves in the nose with it and then apologize for scaring the viewers with their bloody noses.

But no, neither can be taken even remotely seriously as a news source.

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

See, you say they can't be taken remotely seriously as a news source. And as a newsperson, you're probably right.

But if the rank-and-file thinks it's a news source, that's what matters. Not what we, as fellow journalists, think.

Draft saved Draft deleted