1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If McNabb is overrated, how about ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Magnum

Magnum Member

I agree with you. I have a lot of respect for McNabb. I think he's a Hall of Fame quarterback. He worked hard to be a complete player, not just a running qb. He pretty much redefined the role.

I don't agree with Philly fans who are so hard on him. He's carried the team for years and now that he needs some help there's none anywhere. Why is that his fault?

Is he wrong about it being a racial thing? Absolutely. Part of it's a Philly thing - it's the same fans who chased away Sir Charles and booed Mike Schmidt - and part of it is he never really took over a do-or-die playoff game. He never registered a John Elway or Joe Montana moment where you knew he was going to win the game no matter what. Philly fans don't trust him to win the big one - which is what they all want.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Here's the problem with biglead's original premise:

McNabb, Age 31, 9th season, 5 Pro Bowls, 12 postseason games including a Super Bowl
    Brees, Age 29, 7th season, 2 pro bowls, 3 postseason games, 2 losses NO super bowl
    Rivers, Age 25, 2nd season as starter, 1 post season loss
    Manning, Age 26, 3rd season as starter, 2 playoff losses.
    Marc Bulger: Age 30, 7th season, 3 playoff games, 2 losses

McNabb is not overrated, he is on the downside of his injury-plagued career.

The rest just haven't accomplished enough to be considered overrated ... they're nobody's thus far.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

When does Wes Welker get to have an HBO special on the psychological damage done by everyone calling him a possession receiver and ignoring that he's a great athlete? How about Matt Jones? That guy's one of the best athletes in the game, and certainly one of the most athletic guys I've ever seen up close.

4. Magnum

Magnum Member

But neither have done anything on a football field.

5. Hammer Pants

Welker's had a better 2007 than McNabb.

6. Hammer Pants

To clarify, I have zero problems with McNabb. I just don't like the whiner he has become.

7. Magnum

Magnum Member

So?

Sure, Welker's decent - probably good to be No.1 on the Eagles instead of No. 3 on the Patriots - but he's not made one Pro Bowl, not led his team to a championship. And if the Patriots do go the Super Bowl this year, fans aren't going to be saying, "Wesley Welker brought us here!"

He's on the better team. Oh, and it's only been two games.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Where McNabb loses his argument is with all the crap heaped on Peyton Manning until he finally won a Super Bowl.

9. Magnum

Magnum Member

True. The difference is - not that it supports McNabb's bogus point about it being racial - Manning's always had the support of Indy fans. Philly fans are McNabb's biggest enemy. I just think the BS from his own fans is getting to him.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Even though I am an Eagles fan, I need to disagree with you here. A No. 3 on the Patriots has more opportunities than a No. 1 on the Eagles. Moss and Stallworth both draw coverage away from Welker so he has an opportunity to catch more balls and as a slot receiver, more chances to go for longer gains. As a No. 1 on the Eagles, Reggie Brown or Kevin Curtis are covered constantly because they are McNabb's only options. With the Patriots, Brady has Moss and Stallworth, who can draw coverage away from Welker, which creates more chances for YAC as well as chances to have bigger games.

11. Magnum

Magnum Member

Same thing could be said about Kevin Curtis when he was on the Rams. The point was the Patriots have more talent, which I believe was your point as well.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the point of the original post about Welker is he has been described as a possession receiver, and thus considered to be limited in athletic ability, because he is white and in Welker's case the term doesn't really fit. He's too athletic for the term to be appropriate.

Otherwise, I have no idea what the hell he's doing as a part of this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted