1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If McNabb is overrated, how about ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, Sep 18, 2007.

1. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Drew Brees? 0-2
    Philip Rivers? 1-1 (has looked awful both games, albeit against v good defenses)
    Eli Manning? 0-2 (hurt or not, RB or not, he's has yet to prove he's a franchise QB)
    Marc Bulger? 0-2 (Kurt Warner, except he doesn't win)

* It could also be argued that McNabb has weaker WR/TE than all of the above QBs, except maybe Brees.

Just one man's opinion - feel McNabb's HBO comments are accurate. McNabb seems to be getting blasted harder today than any of the above, all of whom have sucked equally or worse this season.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

All I know is he's fucking killing my fantasy team.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The difference between McNabb and all of the other guys mentioned (except Bulger) is that the other guys are on their way up, while McNabb is on his way down and has been since the Super Bowl season...

I don't think he's overrated. I just think he's not the QB he used to be...

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Eagles really haven't done a good job of surrounding McNabb with weapons during his career.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

He was great last year before he got injured. He's just playing on a leg that's at 75% right now. He'll be fine, but I dont know if the Eagles will be.

6. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Bulger's 0-2 start is partially due to having lost two starting offensive lineman (including a future Hall of Famer) to injuries and the fact that the play-calling has been quite suspect in the first two games.

He got the shit beat out of him Sunday by the Niners (five sacks, 11 hits after the pass, including a couple of late ones that weren't called) and still threw for 368 yards. Would have had a second touchdown pass had Torry Holt not been careless and had the ball knocked out of his hands five yards from the end zone, and had two drives in San Francisco territory killed because his receivers dropped open passes.

He's also thrown 83 passes this season, most by any NFL quarterback, without a pick. His interception percentage last season was 1.4, best among all starters in the NFL (excluding Damon Huard, who was only a part-time starter), and he threw the third-most passes of any starting quarterback.

The Rams are 0-2 because their defense is suspect and they've made too many turnovers, especially in the second half. Marc Bulger is the least of the Rams' problems right now.

I've watched the guy in person a lot over the last six seasons. To call him overrated is ridiculous.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Are we talking about team record or individual performance? The Giants are 0-2, but in Week 1 Manning was 28-for-41 passing for 312 yards with four touchdowns and one interception. That's a 113 rating.
    Even with the injury, Manning's rating after two weeks is 97.5.
    Manning's performance has been an issue many times in the previous two years. So far this season, he's not to blame for the 0-2 record.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I'm too lazy right now to double-check the facts, but I believe the last few seasons the Eagles' have a better record without McNabb than they do with him. So the Eagles fans are of the "what have you done for me lately" variety and McNabb hasn't been able to win lately.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

I don't think he'll be fine if they keep playing him. He's not mobile out there, and they brought him back too soon; not quite a sitting duck, but almost.

I hope the guy is allowed to recover. If he gets his legs back under him, he'll be a force again.

I'm not a big Iggles follower, but from what I've seen that "McNabb is a wimp" stuff is a load of crap.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's at least two on your list whose teams are losing in spite of them, not because of them, biglead.

I don't think Rivers entered the season with expectations anywhere near the rest of that list. He's just a good young quarterback on a team with high expectations. He has also faced two of the league's better defenses.

Brees is the only one who is actually a fair comparison. Can't speak to his performance so far because I haven't seen them play yet. I saw McNabb looking shaky last night, I'm sure because of the knee.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Thing is, I don't think McNabb IS getting killed, at least not outside of Philly. And you'd think by now he'd be used to those fans overreacting. It seems a lot of this may be in his head. Why else would he get so bent out of shape over them taking a QB in the second round this year?

And, of course, the way to stave off the feeling of everyone being out to get you is to play well.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

McNabb is coming back from a serious injury, probably prematurely, and not playing well. That will unleash any athlete's darkest fears.

Draft saved Draft deleted