1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Mayweather gets this much from WWE, what's John Cena making?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080226/ap_en_tv/box_wrestling_mayweather

McMahon must shit cash.

2. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

It's WrestleMania. McMahon will get his money back by charging an arm and a leg for this show. $54.95 for the PPV, $69.95 for the HD version. Highest priced wrestling show in history, if I'm not mistaken. And still, hundreds of thousands of wrestling fans will order it around the world. 61,000 tickets already sold at the Citrus Bowl. It'll pump an estimated $25+ mil into Orlando's economy that weekend (which includes WWE Fan Axcess, Hall of Fame induction ceremony, wrestling-related functions, the actual show, etc.)

Is the investment worth $20 million? Obviously no. Although Mike Tyson helped to begin the unprecedented Attitude era at '98's edition of WM, Mayweather will only be a midcard attraction much like Donald Trump last year. But he's still the best boxer in the world and Vince will always go all out for the big show that he created.

3. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

From the linked story above:

Where else could he wear a mask?

4. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Again, though, what does Cena make?

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

My educated guess is anywhere from $2-$4 million per year with first class flight tickets, hotel accommodations, and ground transportation paid for every week.

And that's not counting merchandise (which he makes an insane amount from), movies (The Marine made money, unlike The Condemned), and endorsements/appearances.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I'm sure that NES-style shirt he's been sporting the last two Raws will make him a pretty penny, thanks to the ladies and little kids (a.k.a. The Only Ones Cheering For Him).

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Credulous? Why yes, I'm absolutely sure that every dollar amount sent out in a WWE press release to promote an event is perfectly accurate.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Again, I've stood within five feet of John Cena. Each of his upper arms is larger in circumference than both of my legs put together.

and I'm not a size 2.

Freakish.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I wonder what the two families of Chris and Nancy Benoit think when they hear a non-wrestler will be paid $20 million for what will likely be two minutes of an actual match. I smell lawsuits.

10. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

If finding out what Floyd Mayweather is making for a WrestleMania appearance is the impetus to send them toward litigation, then I'd say they'd deserve no money. To me, that'd cheapen their case. They have plenty of other (i.e. more legit) reasons to file a lawsuit.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The WWE screws most of its stars by signing them to multi-year deals when they're nobodies... They take whatever they can and the WWE has a clause where they can fire anyone at any time...

I'm sure Cena makes decent money, but I'd be surprised if it's more than $1-$2 million a year. I'm sure he can make more by appearances, movies etc...

The only people the WWE has to pay really big bucks to are guys like Hulk Hogan and celebrities...

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Dunno, but in addition to that, the wrestler's name is Rey Mysterio.

Draft saved Draft deleted