1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IF It Winds Up Being McCain/Obama . . . A Milestone In Modern US History

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well said Ben . I agree. The people have spoken.

2. JackS

JackS Member

If nothing else, that matchup will put far more states in play than otherwise would be.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Of course, this is the first time there hasn't been an incumbent (president or VP) running in God knows how long.

4. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Humphrey was LBJ's VP, right?

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think 1952 is correct.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

1952 is correct.
    General Dwight Eisenhower vs. Governor Adlai Stevenson

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Not sure what you were watching heading into this election cycle, but I think Mayor Rudy was actually the runaway winner according to most in the GOP.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He was the pacesetter last year, yes, but he lost momentum in a hurry as we approached this primary season . . .

And more on point, Il Duce didn't have the $ power behind him that Romney generated (both on his own behalf, and from outside . . . )

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Whole new paradigm . . . quite interesting, that.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Pacesetter? He was already declared the run-away winner before the primaries. And even after Iowa, he was still being touted as the eventual GOP nominee.

The guy self-destructed by not caring about the early events. I agree Romney had the money, but even so he was a no-name around the country and world until he finished second in Iowa and New Hampshire then won Wyoming.

But as I said I see your point, and whether you swap The Mayor for Mitt or not, your original point is still valid.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Or technically, you'd have to back to 1928 (Herbert Hoover vs. Al Smith) because in 1952, Truman ran for re-election at first (he was the last president constitutionally eligible to do so) but stood down after getting waxed in New Hampshire.

Draft saved Draft deleted