1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IF It Winds Up Being McCain/Obama . . . A Milestone In Modern US History

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ben_Hecht, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

NEITHER candidate favored going into the general-election year by the settled/established prevailing party hierarchy (Romney/Clinton) will be nominated?

Some may want to pick nits re Mitt, but where do you want to go with that? Rudy was melting into a puddle when the calendar turned, and Fred broke twenty lengths behind and never got out of a gallop. Romney was the only one hewing to the hard line of the right wing, had a TON of money to play with . . . and got whipped. I think it's clear why, but we'll save that, for another season.

HRC, there's no debate.

This development, if it comes to pass, in conjunction with the astonishing increase in
    participation on the Dem side in the face of what's transpired this millenium, is the most heartening broad political evolution I've witnessed in my lifetime.

The big-money so-called "pros" have been emphatically told to shove it.

God, it's good.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It is good, but it's still damn early. I hope the good lasts.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I said IF.

That said, hope to hell it does.

4. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Definitetly agree about McCain.

I mean, they were literally predicting when exactly he would drop out of the race just 3-4 months ago. Go back and read the stories. Whether by accident, good fortune or his own abilities, McCain getting the nod is amazing.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If?
    Is there really any doubt any more?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Will also be the largest age difference between candidates ever if it's Obama-McCain.

Obama is 46, I think, and McCain is, what, 72?

An entire generation between them.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also, it will be the electorate's statement that after watching the Clinton-Bush era, it doesn't trust the Boomers to be in charge anymore.

(Yeah, Obama is technically part of the Baby Boom because he was born in 1961, but does anybody identify him with the Boomer era?)

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The first president younger than I am!
    Can he win? Will he win? The Queen is more of a diehard Dem than I am but she likes McCain.

"Yeah," I said, "your right to like him. But he's 106!"

Is the nation ready to elect a minority President?

Guess we'll find out.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wait, I thought Bill Clinton was the first black president...

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

In the top spot, for that matter, the Boomers have done little better than the Lost generation, who essentially got shut out . . . Bill and W. That's it . . . unless Romney somehow makes it in '12 -- which I doubt.

11. If, for the purposes of your argument, you don't want to, then, no, he doesn't count.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Some people thought it was Abe Lincoln

Draft saved Draft deleted