1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IF it were 2014....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by young-gun11, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the Packers.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Crimson,

I was a big supporter of a playoff system as far back as the 1980s. FCS has one and it's terrific.

But, to do that, you'd have to cut the regular season back to 10, or at most 11, games and eliminate conference championship games. You can't extent the season any longer. There are too many games as it is.

To have a playoff system, you'd have to start it this weekend, the one right after Thanksgiving. That way you could play a title game on or around Jan. 1. The downside, of course, is that as the playoffs progressed, there would be fewer and fewer teams left. Thus fewer games.

So fewer and fewer fans would have a team to root for in some game around New Year's. I suppose there are tradeoffs to everything.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Wisconsin can still be the Big Ten champion, DAMNIT!!! :)

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, Purdue. Because I'm told the Big Ten will be the shit by then.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Won't happen as long as the BCS, which is really SEC spelled sideways, controls the process.

Draft saved Draft deleted