1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IF it were 2014....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by young-gun11, Nov 19, 2012.

1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

... And we were looking at the four-team playoff... Who would be in the hunt?

Obviously, Notre Dame and the SEC winner would be in the game (Assuming each win this weekend). Then assuming Stanford beats UCLA twice in a row.. (wtf?) they're in. Does Kansas State or Florida/Florida State winner get the nod?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oregon is right now three spots above Stanford so I don't know how Stanford would squeeze past them. Not saying they wouldn't, but I just don't know if that's possible.

I mentioned this on the other thread too, but anyone who thinks the four-team system is going to solve anything needs to take a hard look at this clusterfuck. A four-team system would reward Florida and Oregon for not making their conference championship games.

I'd say:

--Notre Dame vs. Oregon
    --Alabama vs. Florida

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Dammit, young-gun ... you took my poll story idea! :D

It's an interesting topic, though.

The major fork in the road: conference champs, or multiple teams from the same conference?

Discuss.

4. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Well, piss. My bad.

LTL, you'd then have TWO teams who didn't win their conference's division in the hunt for a national title. The more serious question is... Are championship games really THAT bad for CFB?

5. I Should Coco

My thoughts: the four teams should be conference champs.

That way, the importance of the conference schedule is preserved, and in the leagues which have a conference championship, those games are de-facto national quarterfinals.

Oregon may finish this season with one loss, but if they aren't the "champion" of the Pac-12, they should not have a shot at the national title.

(I realize what that says about last year ... but that was the BCS system. The new system should favor conference champs).

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Why would a two loss Stanford team be in? I don't think they'd have much of a shot at all with the one loss contenders. I would go: Notre Dame, Alabama/Georgia, Kansas State, Oregon, Florida St./Florida before getting in to any two loss teams.

7. I Should Coco

To wrap this up before counting poll ballots, here's my vote on who should get in this season if it's a four team playoff:

Notre Dame
    Alabama/Georgia winner
    Pac-12 champ (even if they have two losses)
    Big 12 champ

I realize Notre Dame isn't technically a "conference champion," but the way things are going, they could be considered a quasi-ACC team by 2014, when the playoff kicks in. The Fighting Irish, at this point, are a kink in the armor of the conference champions only argument.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I would also be open to putting the Florida St./Florida winner ahead of Kansas State and Oregon, but that leaves the potential for two SEC teams, which I'm not sure the selection committee would want to do.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Automatic bids would be a mess... Can you imagine the Big Ten Champion this year (with Ohio State ineligible) making the semifinals?

I have an issue with Florida being in a better position to make the semifinals than Georgia, which beat UF and won the SEC East.

The better option would be to get rid of the conference championship games. It was interesting that before last week's games, everybody seemed to think KSU had the easiest road there because they wouldn't have to play in one. Because of the $$$ involved, I'm guessing that's not going to happen...

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is stupid. What if the top two teams are not conference champions, which still could happen this year?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How can anyone possibly consider K State? I am OK with allowing for a weird outcome (okie state-Iowa state in '11). But anyone who gets blown off the field by a sub-.500 is gone, end of discussion.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It will definitely be a mess, but it's usually a mess...

If the computers/voters determine who would get in this year, there would almost definitely be two SEC teams in the semis.

Draft saved Draft deleted