1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it is good for America, why isn't it good for Congress and the president?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

They're pushing for it, they're voting for it, with our money.

So why aren't they going to be active participants in the health care program?

Why do they continue to vote themselves raises and allow for pension plans unheard of except in the land of CEO fantasy?

Why are we run by hypocrites and if this isn't, please explain.

2. printdust

printdust New Member

If I made 400K a year, I wouldn't worry too much about how I'm going to pay for my health insurance or retirement.

I want to see public the tax returns on Obama and all, GOP and Dem, congressmen once these "tax the rich" elements of the health care proposal kick in.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I like to think they were just as diligent with this plan as they would have been if they were mandated to use it for themselves and their families. But it's a fair question, worthy of good discussion.

Too bad someone else didn't post it.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Good policy and good politics don't usually go hand in hand. The same can be said for bad policy and bad politics.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

So it's only worthy if it is certain people who post?

How unfortunately judgmental.

Tell ya what. Get someone else to post it and eliminate this one. I'll forfeit my "credential" for a worthy discussion.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We are really pushing it with politcal type threads. We try and give a little leeway - but people are taking advantage and going back to old ways. Locked one yesterday. If this gets out of hand, we may have to start playing hardball. So be civil if you want these discussions to continue. If you cannot do it, do us all a favor and stay the hell away please.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But ... the president's tax return already IS made public.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Holy shit that's funny.
    Half these yahoos haven't even read the damn thing.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Liberals know what's good for everyone and what's best for themselves.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

We're not the ones relying on the support of people deliberately voting against their own self-interest.

11. I read that book, too, but I never like this argument. Because even people who don't make money believe in their heart they will some day. So they don't exactly see it as voting against their self-interest. They see it as voting for the American Dream. Reasonable people can argue about whether the GOP exploits that, but I don't think it's fair to label such voters idiots (not that you were that harsh, but some are).

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe that when all is said and done, people will see the government as more of a Snidley Whiplash than the insurance companies. Government is more accountable than some damn insurance company is. And if people end up unhappy with a health care bill being signed into law, tough. It's not as if Obama kept this light under a basket during his campaign; people knew a health care bill was his priority one.

And I didn't see any notion of a deliberate process when the Republicans were rushing us into a bloodbath. So the bitching about it now is the apogee of disingenuousness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.