1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway: NASCAR 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2017.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The team has found a uniquely fascinating way of offsetting costs: They use regular Denver Mattress and Furniture Row trailer trucks to shuttle parts and equipment to and from Charlotte. When they're done transporting mattresses or furniture to the east coast, they'll load up with stuff for the NASCAR team in Denver or drop off things to be approved at NASCAR R&D.

They've also figured out the logistics of using their test haulers and extra trailers to shuttle spare cars/cars for next week's race to a meeting point where the hauler drivers can unload and reload in a matter of hours at a truck stop or parking lot. Once they get their main Cup hauler to Denver, they can clean it out, restock it and have it back on the road in less than 24 hours.

Still, I think the team told me their mileage is three to four times what a Charlotte-based team budgets.

franticscribe and playthrough like this.
  2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Golf coach out for racist tweets to Wallace Jr.

I think I found my "post-Junior" driver. I'm certain Wallace would prefer to be known as a "driver" not a "black driver" - but for any driver to be this forceful on Twitter makes me think there might be some hope for the new generation of drivers.

"You're a smart guy? a disgusting but smart guy right? This makes you look pathetic and weak, it's sad. You said what you meant and now worried about the repercussions..that I pray to God will happen. Oh and my granny hopes so too[​IMG]

"Wow, I feel truly sorry for your kids. Again..to have so much hate towards somebody you've never met. Hope your kids grow up to be the exact opposite of a father you are.."

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    franticscribe likes this.
  3. maumann

Random disconnected fact: Cambridge, Wis., just happens to be the hometown of Matt Kenseth.

4. DanOregon

Then don't take it out on the driver, take it out on the teams or sponsors.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I know I would pay money to see one of the Busch brothers get put into a mandible claw.

6. maumann

7. She's planning to run (mid-pack) at Daytona and Indy and she doesn't have a ride?

8. DanOregon

I hope it isn't one of those "farewell" tours that seems to morph into a "comeback/reunion" tour 18 months later. Figure her "last ride" will garner some sponsorship interest.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Have zero doubt that she'll get sponsors. What could be a little interesting is if she has to qualify through the Duals to get into the Daytona 500. Qualifying for Indy shouldn't be a problem since they've been pretty much right on 33 cars for a few years.

She'll only finish in the top 10 at Daytona unless there are a few big wrecks and she avoids them, but a top 10 at Indy is quite possible. She's got a feel for the Brickyard (in Indy cars).

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

She'll win whatever her last race is. NASCAR, down 9 percent in ratings again this year, will find a way.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Gotta say, I like Budweiser's tribute video to Dale Jr. Happy for Junior that he gets to enjoy retirement, something his dad and grandpa never had the chance to do.

maumann likes this.
  12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If Nascar couldn't legislate Dale Jr. to one measly win this year, I don't see any gifts for Danica. Her race yesterday kind of summed up her Cup career, and in the post-wreck interview she sounded as excited for Daytona as I do for my next dental visit.

Draft saved Draft deleted