1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway: NASCAR 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2017.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I totally understand why Hornish made the leap, especially when the financials were so tilted in NASCAR's favor then, but it's not worked out the way some thought it would.

Same for Danica.

You could even say the same for JPM.

I can't say the Chase was the beginning of the end, but it feels like it in some ways. (You could also say that about Winston leaving when it did.) NASCAR reacted to a couple relatively boring championship runs by destroying the structure of the sport. That made it a joke.

maumann likes this.
  2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, wasn't it Earnhardt, the biggest name, that dragged the dirty laundry into the open?
    As for Danica, I think it would be hilarious if the only ride she could secure was with Petty.

maumann likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Went to yesterday's race in Chicago. Wow, was there a lot of 24 gear being sported. (Of course, everyone will have to convert to 9 car gear before next season.)

Biggest boost the sport could get among its own fans to spur some enthusiasm is for him to start winning some races. It seems inevitable, but then I think about Marco Andretti.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

You know things are bad when two of your more popular drivers -- three if you count Junior, and four if you assume Kenseth is without a ride next year -- are retired guys.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

My brother and I were talking about this today. Gordon, Stewart, Edwards, Dale Jr. All within three years.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Shit, one of NASCAR's top five is dead ... and has been for quite awhile.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It partnered with the NRA in the Texas race a few months after Sandy Hook a few years back. (Yes, I know the tracks cut the sponsorship/naming rights deals.) NASCAR still allowed the NRA 400 or whatever the hell it was called to proceed. Hideous.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Cross him off the list, then.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Still sponsors the Bristol night race, which is easily within the 10 highest profile races of any given season.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Not much of a NASCAR fan here, but I did see this on Facebook:

Unlikely to happen, but not out of the realm of possibility: NASCAR could have a 2017 Cup Series champion who has NEVER won a Cup race. Chase Elliott could be 0-for-36 this year to go with his 0-for-36 last year and his 0-for-5 in 2015 -- that's 0-for-77 lifetime -- and still win the big hardware at Homestead in November. Talk about a media/PR nightmare for the good folks in Daytona Beach.

Draft saved Draft deleted