1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If it ain't broke, fix it anyway: NASCAR 2017 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Double-plus agreed.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'd be in favor of shaving at least 20 games off the schedule of MLB, NBA and NHL regular seasons. For baseball, it would help with better weather in the spring, and for the other two it would help players be at their best when the games count the most.

I like the NFL at 16 games. Eighteen is too many, and 14 is too few. Sixteen is baby bear: just right.

maumann likes this.
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Indianapolis Motor Speedway management once pitched a two-race weekend to Nascar: road course on Saturday, oval Sunday. All Cup cars, no Xfinity. Nascar said no. I wondered if Nascar was afraid that the road course race would have been too good, rendering the oval useless. Which it already is for stock cars.

Moving the 400 out of its late-July steamer won't hurt, but I can't see the last-race-before-playoffs hook drawing fans back who gave up on the race years ago. Plus, if the storyline is "X driver needs a win to make the playoff!" then which X would possibly put butts in the seats? And it's opening week of NFL (right?), better hope the Colts are on the road or in prime time.

maumann likes this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, one thing that came to mind is that having the regular-season finale at Indy might lead desperate guys to be more aggressive in the corners. At the very least, it could open up some very tricky fuel mileage decisions for a crew chief trying to steal a win to get in. Or maybe not.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

A race of 600 miles means Danica can bring out the yellow twice.

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Are you telling the MLB, NBA, and NHL players to accept a pay cut?

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Seeing the No. 3 back in victory lane makes me happy.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's 10:50 p.m. and I see 10 laps to go. And then they wave the white flag. And then they tell me they have another 100 laps coming right up.

I don't know, but this might be getting ridiculous.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was interesting to see Russell Wilson take a crack at the sport this weekend.

[​IMG]

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

He looks like the result of Russell Wilson and David Price having a kid.

Big Circus likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Jesus. Trying to polish off the last 10 laps is now a 30-minute game of Calvinball. Just end it already.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The last 40 to last 10 laps were pretty good, but good that ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted