1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I see another "Vote Freedom First -- GOP" bumper sticker, I'm going postal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DemoChristian, Mar 7, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I blame Stan.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Man, I'm stocking up on GOP bumper stickers and Whatchmacallits ASAP.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: If I see another "Vote Freedom First -- GOP" bumper sticker, I'm going posta

I have yet to see one of these bumper stickers. I win!

4. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

all talibanlicans and faux-libertarians care about w/r/t "liberty" is making sure city councils don't ban foie grois. freedom of speech, freedom of religion, the right to protest, voting rights, etc.- nah, that stuff ain't worth saving.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

This reminds me: I need stamps.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Re: If I see another "Vote Freedom First -- GOP" bumper sticker, I'm going posta

I will paraphrase Bill Hicks, in a fashion that I am sure would grossly misrepresent his opinion about this issue, but he's dead and there's not much he can say at this point by way of objection:

"If hooking a suspected terrorist to a car battery is the only way to get the information we need, I only have one thing to say ...

... Red is positive and black is negative."

7. And I'll say it again -- if you kill what makes this country great in an effort to protect the country, then the terrorists really do win.
    Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Aside from the fact that we're better than they are and we have to act like we're better than they are, doing shit like that doesn't get the information you need. It gets you the information the guy thinks you want.

So if he thinks you want to hear he's been planning to blow up the Sears Tower, that's what he'll tell you. Now you think you've foiled a plot to blow up the Sears Tower. Pats on the back all around.

You climb the ladder to the next guy. You order him to tell you all about the plot to blow up the Sears Tower. He says he doesn't know what you mean. You know he's lying, so you threaten to hook him up to a car battery. He says he still doesn't know what you mean. So you hook him up to the car battery, and he tells you all about how he wants to blow up the Sears Tower.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

What a stupid comment. I remember the GOP making comments like that leading into the 2006 election, too -- seems like the terrorists are no more busy now than they were before that election.

10. Of course, Bush has been the best marketer A-Qaida has ever had. He's used the term "crusade" in reference to the War on Terror. He attacked a Muslim country that had nothing to do with 9/11. He appears to have completely given up on getting Bin Laden. He expresses an "us against them" mentality that reinforces the Middle East's common view that we are joining with Israel to wipe out their religion.
    All of the above has helped to create far more terrorists in the past seven years.
    But yeah, Obama winning would be the big victory for the bad guys.

11. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

It would be ironic if the bumper stickers all cost a buck-oh-five.

Freedom isn't free, after all.

12. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

No, there's a hefty fuckin' fee.

And if we're going with Hicks quotes, go with this one, please:

"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves.

...Here's Tom with the weather."

Draft saved Draft deleted