1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I offended you …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Matt1735, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Had a dispute with an acquaintance/colleague. We had a heated conversation and several times, he uttered, "If I hurt your feelings (by my actions), I apologize."

In turn, I told him that was the most condescending f'ing way he could possibly attempt to apologize and how about trying it without the If-Then conditional. He couldn't do it. He just kept coming back to the same phrasing, like he was a robot and had it written down on a card... This is what I'm supposed to say!!!

I hear a lot of people attempt to apologize in that manner, and it always bugs me.

Am I alone on this one?

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

When someone says that, they actually mean you're wrong and don't be such a pussy. It's in no way a real apology.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: If I offended you …

Right. But you were probably wrong, so don't be such a pussy. :D

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Re: If I offended you …

That's because you're a pussy. When I say it, I mean "you're wrong and Creosote is a pussy."

The person I'm talking to then wonders what the fuck a "Creosote" is and why it's such a pussy.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes. Sounds like he does not feel sorry but is agreeing to acknowledge that you feel differently about the subject matter.

No one should say they are sorry if they are not. Clearly, you are not, and it doesn't seem he is, either. Accept it, agree to disagree and move on.

He manned up and acknowledged that, and you bit his head off. You *should* be the one apologizing, not so much for the initial heated conversation but the follow-up.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

With all due respect...

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Sounds like Matt works with one of my clueless former bosses.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't take this the wrong way but.....

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I use "duly noted" to mean "I have given your opinion/suggestion/order the complete lack of notice I consider it to be due."

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

SJ style, people

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Come on, everybody knows that you have to use the "that said," phrase in the middle.

[/Curb Your Enthusiasm]

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you two head a heated discussion, why should the other guy apologize. Aren't you equally guilty for being in a heated conversation with a colleague?

Either accept his half-hearted apology or punch him in the nose. Quit whining.

Draft saved Draft deleted