1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I had $50 million ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 30, 2006.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I'd give a million dollars each to my four brothers, my sister and my neices and nephews. Then I'd pay back my parents (financially) and build them a house wherever they wanted with whatever they wanted in it. Then I'd have a small log cabin built in the Ozarks (but not too far from a Wal-Mart) complete with about 200 acres or so for dogs that I'd pick up at every pound within a 100-mile radius so they wouldn't be killed. Then I'd pop open the first of many Old Style tallboys, recline in my new massage chair and relax until the day I died.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

That's if you had a rocket launcher, MG. 8)

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I'd give some cash to the Bagger (direct internet deposit) so he doesn't bounce any more checks.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

Idaho,

I only edited it becuase I didn't feel like having the thread turn into a conversative vs. liberal bitch fest. I don't like the people I had mentioned, but it wasn't worth it here to start an argument.

oh, and my house that i would build would have escalators for stairs and walkways.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

But you'd still murder them, right?

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'd donate a half mil each to my college's journalism department, French/education dept (for my wife) and maybe to athletics there.

Then I'd buy a house in my hometown, a condo in Hawaii, and a flat in Paris and spend my time traveling between the three in my personal jet.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

My good deed to the community would be getting a clinic built to focus on "alternative" therapies for chronic problems, as long as I could find a way to block the insurance leeches as much as possible.

My deed to myself would be a house with an outdoor, all-weather track and an indoor game room. It wouldn't need to be a palace, but it'd need some amenities.

Some nastiness would take place, too, but no need to elaborate about that here.

9. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Hmmmm, seems like everyone has really similar ideas. I think that's the thing about working stiffs like us. We might go really crazy after a while, but I think most of us are too blue-collared (even with our degrees) to go beyond the obvious of helping out our familes, some nice digs and some nice cars, etc.

That said, here's my $50 million's worth:
    * Take care of the family and some very good friends. I'd set up trust funds for my neice and nephew and a couple of children of some very close friends (all contingent upon receiving a degree or some equivalent of or having a damn good reason why not).
    *I'd take care of all my debts, etc.
    *I might work my job for a while, but in all likelihood, I'd concentrate on finishing books and stuff.
    *I'd like to own a small newspaper and run it the way I think it should be run, even if it loses money.
    *I'd own some luxury vehicles. I've always wanted a lamborghini. And on the opposite scale -- a jeep. Some nice convertible, and a 69 Camaro. And a Toyota Tundra.
    *I'd have a couple of nice houses/condos in places I like.
    *I'd donate money to my favorite charities and probably endow some scholarships. Nothing to the athletics department of my alma mater -- they're doing fine on their own. I'd definitely set up scholarships at my high school.
    *I'd invest.
    *I'd travel the world and see places I've always wanted to see, do people I've always wanted to do..(Um, sorry, did I say that out loud? ;D)
    Guess I'm out of money for now. Back later!

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I forgot one on my list, but you gotta take along a friend with you to easy street. No fun being a rich guy if your best bud's gotta work all the time.

Mantra: This is not the creation of a posse ... I will not become AI ... This is not the creation of a posse ... I will not become AI ...

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

...I'd make somebody pay. (another Bruce Cockburn reference)

No, I'd be using some of it to buy real estate in the 'burbs north and east of Dallas, the only place in America that seems a sure bet (lower values, less of a bubble).

I'd keep a million in the bank for fun. The rest would go in a variety of stocks, bonds, money market and mutual funds accounts. I want that $50M to become $100M, then $200M, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted