1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If I could turn back time...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Wasn't that game more Alex Gonzalez's fault?

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I would love to go back and be there for the battles of Concord and Lexington and the Shot heard round the world. Something like that. Maybe the be one of the Pilgrims making it to America. There's a lot to choose from, but definitely something involving the early stages of our country.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Historical: I would have wanted to travel the Oregon Trail in a covered wagon. I know, it's corny.

Sports-related: I would have wanted to be at the Oilers/Steelers game so that I could have screamed at the refs in person instead of just screaming at my television.

Personal life: I would have said "No."

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

A couple of my back-in-time moments, if I could...

Nov. 22, 1963, like many people.
    Dec. 7, 1941, Pearl Harbor.
    In the court of Henry V moments before the Battle of Agincourt.

On a personal level, I'd go back to 1991 and see what might have happened with me and a young woman named Dena. I was in the Navy, stationed in Virginia and Dena was back home in Texas, but I ended up meeting and marrying Ruthie. Not that I regret marrying Ruthie (not at all...) but Dena was my first love and it would have been interesting to see what might have happened.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

It's also quite dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sorry. The only event I'd want to be involved with would involve changing history.

It would be to shake some sense into my parents and actually have them divorce when they separated the first time.

7. Habeas Corpus

Habeas Corpus Member

Would my safety be assured? If so, it would have to be D-Day. But I wouldn't want to just be plopped down on the beach in the middle of the invasion.

8. Would you ford a river?

9. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Of course I would have forded a river. What would the Oregon Trail be without several river crossings??

And I would NOT have died from dysentery. In my sweet little dream, I made it to Oregon.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's what they all said. Do you see any of them walking around now?

11. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I'm surprised more people aren't picking good things to witness, given the no-changing-it ground rule. The usual reaction to Cassandra isn't "Damn, I'd like to be like her."

Me? Maybe hearing the Declaration of Independence read to the people in Philadelphia.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Historical:
    Battle of Kursk. I want to see 10,000 tanks trading shots. And the real beginning of the end of the war.
    Any day in late 1944 in southeastern England. I want to see 10,000 bombers -- a stream 120 miles long -- headed to Germany.
    Battle of Trafalgar. Nelson crosses the "T" and revolutionizes naval warfare.
    Signing of the Declaration of Independence.

Sports:
    Dwight Clark and "The Catch." Did he really step out of the end zone and come back in?

Personal:
    I'd get in that last 18 holes with my dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted