1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'If I’m walking around in my underwear and I’m drunk, who else’s fault can (rape) be?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Was it Obama that said after Jackie that you are "as likely to be raped in your dorm room" sober as you are "drunk at a fraternity party," or something along those lines? I'm foggy on the exact comparison, or whether that's the correct public figure.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Dick, sometimes you say things and I'm just not sure what the fuck you're talking about. And this is one of those times. What the fuck are you talking about? Obama ...Jackie ...what??

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He needs to do a touchdown dance every couple of days, and he missed on the Chris Sale strikeout prediction the last time out.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Geez, I just showed this to my girlfriend, and she started getting mad. Then I had to explain how the pie chart and legend works. UMd graduate too. smh

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll find it later. I may be off on the details. Some prominent public figure said that you are "as likely to be raped in your dorm room on a Tuesday afternoon" as you are at a fraternity party when drunk. It was something like that. Slate or Salon or one of those sites wrote a, "Woah, slown down" column in response.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I believe the Jackie he is referring to is from the Rolling Stone campus rape story.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"If I'm walking around in my underwear and I'm drunk," I'm MisterCreosote in his 20s.

Captain_Kirk likes this.
  8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That was true of her own rape. But she then added more commentary that is less defensible IMO:

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Or I'm stoney just a couple nights ago. But I'm doing it while sitting on my couch watching a late night sportscenter rerun, not in the middle of a party full of ravenous biker gang dudes. Context makes all the difference.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeahhhhh suuuuuuurrrrrre ...

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Ok, I admit there were a couple biker dudes...

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Can we just skip the passive-aggressive preliminaries and get to the point you're trying to make, Dick?

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted