1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Howard Cosell were alive today, would you listen to him?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Jul 15, 2008.

?

If Howard Cosell were alive today, would you listen to him?

1. Mute button

20.8%
  2. Yes, but I would not like it.

4.2%
  3. No opinion

4.2%
  4. I would like him.

41.7%
  5. He would make me want to watch the game.

29.2%
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

After reading the Billy Packer thread, I was curious what people actually liked in a play-by-play man or woman.

Packer obviously knows his basketball, and many people here seem willing to sacrifice knowledge to rid themselves of his abrasive behavior.

So what about Cosell, who at the top of his game was a fantastic announcer, but he was rough at times. Very rough.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As arrogant as he was, Cosell was one of the best television journalists television in the medium's history. He was among the first to bring a sense of social consciousness to the airwaves.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I sure would. I'd love to hear him discuss what it's been like being dead.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He would have been fired the first time he said anything controversial... Howard Cosell would not last in today's society and that says more about society than it does Cosell.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Cosell had great intelligence and insight, and on many topics would be wonderful to listen to.

But an analyst/commentator on football, baseball, etc., was NOT anything he ever did well IMO.

Give him a "Real Sports" or "Behind the Lines" type of vehicle, and he would be grand.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't like the Cosell-Packer comparison. Cosell would have disliked Packer, because even though Packer covered it with a relatively intelligent veneer, at his heart he still had jockocratic tendencies.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Hell MFing yes. Maybe the only one behind mic that isn't named Bob Costas who is/was a journalist. Well, Jim McKay too.

I echo BTE -- if Cosell had some sort of long-form commentary going today ... I would sop it up with a biscuit.

rb

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It's easy to forget that for all of his bluster, Cosell was a very good interviewer and displayed charisma doing it. That's another thing that sets him apart from Packer.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The comparason I was looking at was the informed but abrasive slant.

I know the Venn Diagram circles do not overlap a lot on these two, but Cosell was the only person that came to mind.

Maybe I could have selected a better person for the Packer comparason, but I was noticing that some people on theother thread were sacrificing strong content for a milder delivery.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

YES!!!

howard was the bomb. mnf made him more famous but that wasn't his thing. his weekly radio show, "speaking of everything," was the greatest. he'd be tailor-made for an hbo show or "outside the lines." 8)

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Cosell was a legend, and rightly deserved. I can't think of another national journalist who railed against teams moving from city to city to get better deals, or some of the other realities of modern professional sport. He was Simon Cowell, Keith Olbermann, and Rush Limbaugh all rolled in to one. A towering figure in broadcasting who I believe always put the fan watching at home first.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

He would be 90 if he were still alive today, so that's a no.

Draft saved Draft deleted