1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Clinton wins ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ArnoldBabar, May 31, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

... it will set race relations in this country back decades.

Imagine what happens if the first legitimate major party black candidate, who has won a majority of states, pledged delegates and the (depending on how you work it) nation's popular vote, is nullified through finagling by the system. Think about the message that would send. You think the Rodney King verdict created a divide? Think about what happens if a bunch of white party officials get together and decide, "We don't think you can win. We're gonna go another direction."

I have no horse in this race, and I don't think it will happen, but I was just thinking about that tonight. Thinking about how far it would go toward wrecking the progress we've made.

Discuss ...

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this won't end well.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I know, and I usually don't participate in political threads and god knows I have never started one. But I am a moderate with a naive hope that someone here can talk about things apart from their agenda.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

good luck.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's not going to happen.

Let me repeat that.

It's not going to happen.

The Democrats have proven themselves on more than one occasion to be unfathomably stupid. They're not that stupid. And there's no sense even suggesting it, because it won't happen.

6. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

There's simply no will within the Democratic Party to overturn the entire primary process, especially to please the Clintons, who turn more people off with every passing day. She has no chance of being the nominee.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

deskslave and B have summed this up, more than adequately. Not to worry.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think it may be all over by this time next weekend.

The DNC rules and by-laws committee is not going to give Hillary all of Michigan and Florida. The final primaries are Sunday and Tuesday. Obama should draw enough superdelegates afterward to go over the top.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And if DNC officials would surmise that Obama is unelectable, are they stupid enough to think Hillary is?

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

If anything, there is a greater chance of the opposite happening. Obama in all likelihood will win the nomination. But will the party be able to get the older, blue-collar voters who supported Hillary so ardently to go for Obama? Or will those voters stay home on election day or, worse, vote for McCain?

11. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Well, if there's anything that was proven during this long primary season, it's that Obama and Clinton are the same on about 90% of the issues if not more.

So if those, "hard-working voters, white voters" as Hillary so eloquently described them, defect, then they're stupid at best and racist at worst.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The majority of the rules and by-laws committee are admitted Hillary supporters. There's a chance they'll drink the Kool-Aid her and her lawyers have served up about how she's more electable.

Draft saved Draft deleted