1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If boxers were countries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This was just one of those random thoughts I had the other day while driving. For some reason I started thinking about an old e-mail forward that compared SEC football teams to various empires in history, then starting thinking about boxers, and crossed the two. Came up with a few before something shiny caught my eye, but thought it might be a fun debate topic. Here goes nothing...

Boxer: Mike Tyson
    Reason: Both had a meteoric rise. Both had a period where they were unstoppable forces of nature. And both have had a swift downfall on the world stage that no one saw coming. Tyson was laid low by Buster Douglas, the U.S. is up against the Iraq war and subprime mortgage crisis.

Boxer: Evander Holyfield
    Reason: Both had their best moments a long time ago, but remain players on the world stage. They're both links to a past era when things seemed better (Britain in the 1940s and 50s, Holyfield the 90s). Both were great champions once, but seem to be fading off into the sunset.

Boxer: Joe Frazier
    Reason: Both were mighty powers in their heyday, but always played second fiddle to something better (The USSR to the United States, Frazier to Ali). Both were floored by relatively unknown factors (the USSR by the Afghanistan war, Frazier by Foreman).

Boxer: George Foreman
    Reason: Both Japan and Foreman were cocky assholes in their younger lives, and both made their names with sneak attacks (the Japanese at Pearl Harbor, Foreman with his knockout of Frazier). They both bit off more than they could chew, resulting in their downfall (Japan in WWII, Foreman taking on Ali). And, ultimately, both reinvented themselves into kinder and gentler editions. Now, both are relatively benign forces for good.

Boxer: Riddick Bowe
    Reason: Both of them are just apeshit crazy. And both have kidnapped people at one time or another. You never took either seriously as a potential champion, yet each of them caused some trouble in their respective arenas.

Those were the ones I came up with. The ones I couldn't think of an equivalent for but wanted to were Ali, Andrew Golota, the Klitschko brothers and Ken Norton.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

canada: gerry cooney ;D

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If Canada were a basketball team, it'd be the Washington Generals.

Otherwise, I got nothing.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Great White Hope and the Great White North? I like it!

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I hate to say it, but you could make the case Ali is France.

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

He doesn't surrender six hours after war is declared. He can't be France. :p

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

That's why I said I hate to say it. His "surrender" and subsequent physical failings would be the Parkinson's. It's not the man's fault. France has no such excuse. It is an imperfect parallel.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Boxer: Buster Douglas
    Reason: Each had one out-of-nowhere moment of glory (The Alamo for Mexico, Tyson win for Douglas), then spent the rest of their careers eating and drinking themselves into oblivion.

Boxer: Wladimir Klitscko
    Reason: The HRE dominated an era in history (between the real Roman Empire and the Protestant Reformation) that no one really gives a shit about. Klitscko is the best heavyweight going right now, and again, no one cares.

Boxer: Duk Koo Kim
    Reason: Do I really need to explain this one?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was trying to limit it to more recent countries, like from the 20th century on, but really the best I can come up with for Ali is the Roman Empire.
    Both innovated in ways no one had really seen before, and combined several different styles into one unstoppable juggernaut. Both were the greatest of all time, and both had endings that were less than ideal (the barbarians sacking Rome in 476, and Ali losing to Larry Holmes and Trevor Berbick). If you want to go deeper, you could even say both Ali and Rome had their more controversial sides seething just under the surface.

10. Steak Snabler

Boxer: Sugar Ray Leonard
    Reason: Both absolutely dominated the world stage for years, but didn't know when to stop and rest on their laurels. The U.S. has gotten into two unnecessary, bloody wars that robbed them of credibility (Vietnam, Iraq), while Sugar Ray didn't know when to stay retired and ended up damaging his legacy, if not his health.

Boxer: Jake LaMotta
    Reason: Controversial and often reviled (with good reason), but in-ring/battlefield chops unquestionable. LaMotta never achieved the status of Sugar Ray Robinson or other great middleweights, but he always held his own and never got knocked down. Israel isn't a superpower in the true sense of the word, but can handle itself when necessary and has never lost a war.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've been reading up on World War I lately, and have another for Duk Koo Kim -- Belgium.
    On the eve of WWI, the Belgian king received an ultimatum from the German Kaiser. In short, it said let us pass through Belgium on the way to France and we won't annihilate you. The Belgian king, having seen German behavior up close for several years prior and not believing a word of it, said hell no.
    "If we're to be crushed, let us be crushed gloriously," King Albert said.
    So the Belgians threw their six army divisions against Germany's 34. And, well, they were crushed gloriously. The Belgians put up a great fight for what they had, relying mostly on national pride, and slowed the German advance long enough to derail their entire war effort.
    Kim was crushed, but crushed gloriously. He went down fighting, much like Belgium. Not sure about the legacy of each situation being parallel, though.

12. Steak Snabler

Here's one more and then I'm going to bed:

Boxer: Ray "Boom-Boom" Mancini
    Reason: Both had a great run and contributed a lot, but are remembered largely for one ugly event. For Germany, it's World War II/The Holocaust, for Mancini, it's killing Duk Koo Kim.

Draft saved Draft deleted