1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If all four go undefeated...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 5, 2012.

?

... who should make the BCS national championship game?

1. Alabama and Kansas State

14 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Alabama and Notre Dame

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Alabama and Oregon

52 vote(s)
    60.5%
  4. Kansas State and Notre Dame

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Kansas State and Oregon

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Notre Dame and Oregon

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Here's what I expect to happen...

Oregon loses once.
    K-State loses once.
    Notre Dame loses once.

Alabama goes undefeated.

Alabama vs. Florida for the title

That will colossally suck, but it is what I expect to happen.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As much as it pains me to say it, because, as LTL has pointed out, their fan base has become as insufferable as the 1980s-90s Huskies or USC at its most arrogant, but I don't think Oregon is losing in the regular season, unless the QB gets hurt. Barner is absolutely carrying that team. Their defense is suspect against a great passing team but no one left on their schedule has Barkley, Lee and Woods-like talent to throw for 500 yards and hang 50 on them.

Stanford and OSU are far better defensively than USC, however. I think Monte Kiffen has jumped the shark.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope all four teams and Louisville all go undefeated so people will bitch endlessly about the BCS.

But unfortunately, it doesn't usually work out that way...

4. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

The interesting scenario would be this:
    K-State, Oregon and ND go undefeated with Oregon winning the Pac 12 title game. Alabama finishes 12-0 but loses to a one-loss Georgia.

Three contending undefeated teams (sorry, Louisville) and two one-loss SEC teams. Do you leave out an SEC team from the national title game? Do you pick one over the other, and if so, who? Do you put both in for a rematch ahead of three undefeated teams?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

There is no way a one-loss SEC team is getting in over the three undefeateds.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Not even a debatable question.

Alabama doesn't have the toughest schedule of the four, hell, its regular season schedule arguably might even be the weakest. They play more losing teams than anyone else, they play more mid-major patsies than anyone else.

Not a chance in hell a one loss team gets in over undefeated teams with as good or better a schedule. I don't care what conference it's from.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You are assuming a Florida win over Florida State on Nov. 24? I would buy that scenario with FSU as the Alabama opponent. I think FSU will beat the Gators.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Pecking order is as follows:

1) Alabama

2) Notre Dame

3) Oregon

4) Kansas State

5) Georgia (assuming it beats Bama)

6) Florida State/Florida winner

7) Louisville (only if ALL the above lose)

If all the top four win out, Notre Dame will have wins over Michigan, Michigan State, Miami, Stanford, Oklahoma and USC. That's more than anyone else can match.

Oregon would have wins over USC, Stanford, Oregon State, Washington, possibly UCLA (or Arizona State or USC) twice. Not as strong a schedule as Notre Dame played. Both have wins over USC in Los Angeles and Stanford at home. Notre Dame's next best might be a win at Oklahoma, which is a lot more impressive than Oregon State, Washington or UCLA at home.

Kansas State would have wins over Oklahoma, Miami, Texas, West Virginia and a bunch of mediocre teams. Not a true signature win in the pack.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mark I gotta ask, what is your obsession with Florida State? They are 10th right now. They are out of the picture. They aren't that good.

Are they playing a style of football that makes a white man wanna go buy a ticket? Or what?

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I sure hope not. Georgia got wiped out by South Carolina. No way a team that loses 35-7 belongs in the national title game.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've been on the FSU bandwagon since August. They just look lights out to me whenever I've watched them, with the exception of one poor quarter on the road. They hammered a darn-good Clemson team that I think will be top 10 by year's end and won at Miami. I think, of anyone in the nation, they would have the best shot to beat Alabama head-to-head.

I certainly think they are the best of the one-loss teams. They'll beat Florida by two touchdowns on Nov. 24 and I strongly suspect would beat Georgia or two-loss South Carolina or LSU. They don't have a signature non-conference win, but they will after the Florida game.

They were No. 3 before they lost and I think polls punished them for one loss --- by one point, one play --- far more than they did LSU, Georgia or South Carolina. Georgia and SC got absolutely hammered on the road; Oklahoma lost at home. Florida never was as good as its ranking and its loss didn't surprise me in the least.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

K-State's wins over Texas Tech and Oklahoma St. (No. 14 and No. 17 in the latest Sagrin ratings) don't mean crap because they're "mediocre" but wins against Michigan and Michigan State (No. 21 and 40) mean Notre Dame beats tough teams.

Ok.

Notre Dame Will. Not. play in the BCS title game unless two of the three teams currently in front of it straight up lose. Not lose close. Lose. Period. Accept it because it is an absolute fact.

The fact that you counted Miami as a big win three different times in this post says everything that needs to be said.

Draft saved Draft deleted