1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If all four go undefeated...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 5, 2012.

?

... who should make the BCS national championship game?

1. Alabama and Kansas State

14 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. Alabama and Notre Dame

10 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. Alabama and Oregon

52 vote(s)
    60.5%
  4. Kansas State and Notre Dame

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Kansas State and Oregon

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Notre Dame and Oregon

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

If, say...
    Oregon loses to Oregon State and then USC/UCLA beats OSU for the Pac-12 title...
    Alabama loses to UGA in SEC title game...
    K-State falls to Texas in Week 15...
    UND loses to USC...
    Then what?

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh, so it's just that silly media meme "the team who comes through in the clutch is the best" type bullshit. I see. Conveniently ignoring the fact that if Alabama had played like the team they were supposed to be, it never would've come to that "last shot."

I'll admit I didn't see much of the first half that game (I was too entranced by the Oregon/USC touchdown fest), but I did see nearly the entire second half and, frankly, I was stunned by how bad Bama looked. Don't know why Les Miles was trying the failed onside kick/fake field goal type bullshit. He didn't need the trickery. His team was dominating Bama at the line of scrimmage and overall, they win if he just plays em straight up.

If an observor of that half didn't know anything about those teams' rankings going in, he would've concluded that LSU was clearly the far superior team, and the other guy just got extremely lucky. Yet, that's the half that "finally" convinces you Bama's the best--the worst one they've played all year long--ok, got it, that sure makes sense.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This year's edition of DOOMSDAY probably pits two SEC teams in a title game rematch! Georgia vs. Florida, most likely.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I like Alabama-Oregon, but as others have noted, Oregon has three potential road blocks to an undefeated season.

If Oregon loses, I would prefer Alabama-Kansas State.

BTW, nice thread, Vers. The idea of voting for a championship game ... sounds familiar ... ;)

5. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

Let's remember it was the largest crowd in LSU history at night. Also, remember that Alabama is playing with 8 first-year starters on defense. Guys who had no idea what they were getting into in Death Valley. They weren't completely dominated up front. They were actually dominated more in the second level at LB. Plus Zach Mettenberger played like Matt Flynn/Matt Mauck Saturday night.

6. printit

printit Member

If Alabama and Louisville are the only unbeaten teams, do they play for the title?

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

No.
    Hell no.
    Hell fucking no.

That's a negative, ghost writer.

8. turski7

turski7 Member

I hate Stanford's offense. Quarterback carousel with a redshirt freshman just starting to take the reigns now. Defense is great, but they'll be on the field too much to withstand Oregon's offense.
    Oregon State, meanwhile, is the team I look to to spoil the Ducks' party. Riley's done it in the past and hemight buy the team an In-N-Out franchise if they upend Kelly and Co.
    ND will have a tough time in LA, not that they'll lose, but I hope they do.

9. printit

printit Member

So you are on the fence, then?

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Have you seen Louisville's schedule? Pathetic does not even begin to cover it. The Big East is probably worse than the MAC this year (as demonstrated by the MAC kicking the BE's ass nearly every time they meet). They belong nowhere near near this debate.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Alabama is in if it goes undefeated. Regardless of schedule, the SEC seems to heavily rated regardless of the actual strength of the conference. If Oregon can run the table, it will be a Bama, Ducks title game. Ducks having to go through Stanford, Oregon State and the PAC-12 title game makes their case that much stronger. If Oregon loses, it becomes interesting. Hard to imagine K-State gets bumped down after being No. 2 most of the way and Notre Dame's strength of schedule won't look as good. USC's bad losses have hurt. There will be much politicking going on regardless.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Yes Oregon's SOS will improve. No, K-State's won't stay stagnant.

Draft saved Draft deleted