1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If A Coach Tells You, And The Standings Tell You . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

So, I ask a coach who his team plays next in the playoffs. And he tells me Podunk. And, to be sure, I check the league website and the standings and the scores from that night. Yup, Podunk it is.

Except that the fucking stats/scores were wrong and not corrected until after the fact. We run the wrong opponent. And I get in shit.

What more could I have done besides call the Podunk coach, whose team is four hours away, and ask him, too?

I fucking hate this shit.
  2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Did the coach tell you the wrong information or did the wrong info come from a web site?

I'd always rather get my info from people not web sites, but sometimes you have no choice.
  3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I asked: "So, who do you play next?"
    Coach: "Podunk. They beat Shitsville."
    Me: "Okay."

I come back to the office, log onto the league site, and read the same scores/outcomes/standings.

This is a league we cover when nothing else is going on in our neck of the woods, so I know little (if anything) about the league, teams, etc. So, I took the coach's word for it and the site's info.
  4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ahh, I see.

That sucks. Not much you can do there, except try and get complete brackets going into the night. Still, your coach should know which two teams he could possibly be playing.
  5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

It sucks, but fairly easy to write a corrected version the next day, explaining the error in reporting the score. Not a big deal.
  6. Sure, write a followup that mentions how the league site had incorrect results posted on its Web site. Go back to the coach and ask him if he had to change his game plan, etc. He should be good for a comment or two about being misled. Not your fault that the league can't get scores right.
  7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Yes, you call the other coach.
  8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I mean, in retrospect, I guess. But I don't think I've ever, ever, ever thought to call both coaches ... If one tells me one thing, and the league/district/conference website confirms it. Especially if the "other coach" isn't someone we normally cover.
  9. JR119

JR119 Member

No, the headline didn't read "Podunk dumps Shitsville"
    It was "Podunk takes a dump in Shitsville"

In all honesty, not your fault. You had 2 sources.
    So what's wrong with writing a follow-up (as suggested)?

I asked: "So, who do you play next?"
    Coach: "Podunk. They beat Shitsville."
  10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe the coach is afraid his real future opponent will be using the paper to scout his team. Oh, Johnson scored 30, maybe we should guard him.
  11. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Nice crossthread.
  12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Well, you either learn some stuff in the business from your mistakes or you don't. We call every site every week to double-check before sending reporters or stringers to games. And even then, about once a year, we get it wrong because somebody told us wrong or listed something wrong or changed something without telling us.
Draft saved Draft deleted