1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idol's 4th judge -- Ellen DeGeneris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Sep 9, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I like her, but don't see how this is a good fit. She won't take shit from Simon though.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I think Ellen is incredibly entertaining....but why should she be the judge of a singing competition? She has no musical experience. At all.

Simon is a big-time record company guru. Same with Randy Jackson, who had a fine music career. Kara is a very successful songwriter. Paula Abdul had a good singing and dancing career.

How does Ellen's resume come close to any of that in a singing competition show? What's she going to tell contestants about phrasing and their pitch and what notes they hit or miss?

I don't understand why this was ignored. Fox just took a step on a slippery slope. If American Idol were a stock, I'd sell right now.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh, bullhockey. When was the last time anyone took Paula's singing comments seriously? They've got three people to critique the singing. If this is about pop culture and getting a winner who's relevant, getting someone like Ellen is perfect.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Been a fan of Ellen's since I saw her on a Rodney Dangerfield special and waaay before she came out - that said, it could be great hearing her crack on Simon and Seacrest, but what does she know about music? And won't this just take away more time from the performances of the singers? If they only bring her in for the results show it would make that show watchable, don't need to hear her during the performances.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh for fuck's sake. It's a silly network TV show designed to entertain middle America and get ratings. It's not fricking Juliard auditions. Was Paula Abdul providing some expert insight into "phrasing and their pitch and what notes they hit or miss" that I missed?

Anybody intelligent who loves music and buys music can provide an intelligent opinion on this stuff. And I suspect Ellen can do it in a manner that is more entertaining and humorous than Paula ever could.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

"Hopefully, I'm the people's point of view because I'm just like you," DeGeneres said on her talk show. "I sit at home and I watch it, and I don't have that technical ... I'm not looking at it in a critical way from the producer's mind. I'm looking at it as a person who is going to buy the music and is going to relate to that person."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/09/ellen-degeneres-joining-a_n_281466.html

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

If I'm going to have my music judged by a panel of people, I'd rather those people have a resume that shows that they know what they're talking about.

Paula Abdul did little with the credibility she had because she was too afraid to hurt feelings. But at least she had the credibility.

I love Ellen, and I think it will make for some great TV on the judge's panel. But she's not qualified to be a judge.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Christ. This is just what I need....Idol back on at my house.

My wife used to love the old Ellen Show or whatever the fuck that awful sitcom was called. Now, she'll want to watch Idol again.

Ellen sucks. Big-time. Couldn't be more unfunny.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yawn. The first Idol 'sode I see from start to finish will be my first.

10. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

She'll be great in the first round of auditions. You don't need musical training to know the awfulest.

o-<

11. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

She's got a great likeability factor; she's funny, and she's a representative for people who just know what they like. I think it's a great pick...

12. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Hate Ellen. Utterly unwatchable. Horrific choice.

Draft saved Draft deleted