1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idling cars restricted to three minutes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 9, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S469008.shtml?cat=1

Know what? They can start with their cops. Anyone notice how long cops leave their vehicles idling? I had one stop by my place to take a statement on an accident I had witnessed. It took 15 minutes when I walked him to the door and outside, I noticed his car had been idling the entire time.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's so some crook can steal it and lead the rest of the cops on a wild chase. Don't you watch movies?

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I read a story about this last week.

In that story, a Minneapolis councilor was quoted as saying cars do not need to idle more than a minute after starting, even during the winter.

What I'd like to know is where that councilor is originally from. No self-respecting native Minnesotan would claim that a minute is good enough to warm up your vehicle in the dead of winter. If it's 20 below or more, my vehicle is getting a minimum of ten minutes warm-up time.

Just one more reason I'm glad I never lived in Minneapolis.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rosie,
    If it's 20 below or more, you need a block heater. You don't need to get your car all warm and cozy before you drive off in the winter. Dress appropriately. :)

Toronto's had this law for about five years now.

Worst offenders are the tour buses who want to keep their air conditioning going while the blue rinse power set are off buying souvenirs.

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have a block heater. And of course I dress appropriately. ;)

Where I live, 20 below is not only common, it's warm during the winter.

But in all seriousness, what's the next step? Require everyone has a block heater? Have the city pay for electrical hookups for everyone's block heaters?

I go to Minneapolis maybe two or three times a year, so this law doesn't really affect me personally. But I still think it's dumb.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who will be going around, timing idling cars, and writing tickets?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rosie,

The law is designed to reduce smog in urban areas. Nothing wrong with that.

Given the price of gas, I don't think it's a dumb idea.

We have minus 20 around here as well although probably not as frequently as you do.

Two or three minutes of idling will get the oil moving in the engine-- if you don't have a block heater.

You don't need to warm up your car before you head off is my point.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

A meter maid in a discarded Hummer.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Some guy who leaves his car idling while he writes the ticket and places it on idling cars.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

From the story:

"... driving a vehicle cuts warm-up time in half. Idling a cold engine actually pollutes more than driving it does and idling is harder on the engine."

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The cops and the parking authority cops. aka Green Hornets enforce it in TO, especially in the downtown core. You can't even stop your car in a no stopping zone, dash into Tim's for a double-double and get back before you have a $60.00 ticket on your windshield.

Draft saved Draft deleted