1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IDIOT NEWSPAPER PUBLISHERS and KRISPY KREME

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Mar 5, 2020.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I haven't even thought about Quizno's and I don't recall if any are still around. In one center, the Quizno's closed and was replaced by a Subway. We go to Subway occasionally because it is next door to the grocery store. Jimmy John's is the next closest. I prefer Jersey Mike's, but it is not convenient to where I go. I always liked Togo's, but I just don't go there (closest one is in a crowded shopping center with bad parking).

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

We have nine Subways in our community of 150,00 residents and one Jersey Mike's. The two Quizno's have been closed for awhile and Jimmy John's lasted maybe one year before closing.

We do have one Panera (overpriced Subway) and probably the most popular local eatery is a sandwich shop.

There will soon be nine Starbucks, but all our doughnut shops are local.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Is Dunkins in a separate category for chains?

4. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Subway is ass. Quizno's is ass. Jersey Mike's is good. Penn Station is decent. Firehouse Subs is decent.

Jimmy John's can vary anywhere from excellent to ass, depending on location.

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Mr. Sub though!

Huggy likes this.
  6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I work in a town of about 50,000 people including the hinterlands in the county. I think we have seven Subways (two standalone stores and five tucked into gas stations), plus one more a few minutes away in another state at the first interstate exit across the river.
    IIRC, Subway has a pretty low barrier to entry for its franchise fee.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Is Blimpie still around?

Liut likes this.
  8. Regan MacNeil

Best sub I've ever had was Hero's in Chicago, at the corner of Addison and Western. But they closed a couple years ago after decades of deliciousness.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Subway would be the lowest sandwich tier for me. Like, the only thing that really compares is gas station or grocery store fare. I haven't had Quizno's in like... 12 years or so, since college, but I remember their sandwiches being delicious but incredibly bad for me. Just like, tons of roast beef, BBQ sauce, cheese and toasted cheese bread... Mmm. Good, but like, all of my calories for a day.

I had my first Jimmy John's when I moved to Texas - I don't think they're in New England. Tasted better and fresher than Subway, at a slightly higher price point. Potbelly's, I've only ever had at the Baltimore or D.C. airport. Tasty, but anything with vegetables on it was a godsend at that point.

10. Regan MacNeil

Forgot about Potbelly's. It's good, but a little too pricey.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I was first exposed to JJ’s in college. I got far more lettuce than meat. Their bread is pretty good.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Until Subway showed up it was the No. 1 sub chain up here. There might still be a few around and for a while they were a sponsor of the Blue Jays but it is currently residing in the Where Are They Now? file.

Draft saved Draft deleted