1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IDIOT NEWSPAPER PUBLISHERS and KRISPY KREME

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by goalmouth, Mar 5, 2020.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Part of this is that corporate ownership, a la newspapers, is also a big thing in the chain restaurant space. Thanks to the Doughboys podcast, I'm now aware of this. A bunch of chains did huge expansions in the 2000s with borrowed money - Quizno's and Krispy Kreme with the biggest ones, I think - and then got clobbered when the market flipped. Both of them had other issues - Quizno's got killed by Subway adding toasters (even if they fucking sucked), and both of them were high-carb and high-calorie places when that went out of style - but they pretty much chose to do a wide expansion at the worst time, in hindsight.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Krispy Kreme doesn't have the menu Tims has, for breakfast, lunch etc., it wasn't a place like Starbucks known for its coffee and wasn't going to be on every other corner here in Canada. Sure it was pretty popular at first due to the novelty but there was little reason to go back. Quizno's also had a presence here - even had Don Cherry as a spokesman - but Subway clobbered them too.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good thing Grapes wasn't plugging Krispy Kreme. Would have had to call the North Carolina-based company a Bunch of Jerks.

Could have made for a great 30-second spot, though. Storm Surge, a dozen glazed doughnuts ... a buffoon ...

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

People in SoCal are wondering what this Tim BS is all about.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My only experience with Tim's was on my honeymoon in Niagara Falls in 2002. We ordered a couple donuts and some coffee, paid with a U.S. $20 bill and got like $24 Canadian in change. I thought I hit the jackpot.

justgladtobehere and Huggy like this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Glad to see you've gotten past this ...

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I had completely forgotten about Quizno's. There were a ton of them around here in Ohio in that time. God, they sucked! I never knew how it was possible to make such a bad toasted sub.

Also IIRC, four of my shop's top 10 stories pageview-wise last year were restaurant-related.

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

We went to a Ducks game at Arizona and I was excited because I knew there was a Tim's stand at Gila River Arena. Alas, gone. Replaced by Dunkin' (garbage) Donuts. Musta been a Gretzky thing.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Didn't read the implied blue font ...

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

FWIW, Subway for years has been the biggest US fast food chain in terms of number of stores.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Quizno's made one decent sub -- the chicken carbonara. I noticed that three of the five shops in my burg are permanently closed.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted