1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idiot comment of the week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, Nov 3, 2009.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

Darren Rovell of CNBC re: Meb Keflezighi's NYC marathon win/citizenship:

"Keflezighi...is an American citizen thanks to taking a test and living in our country. Nothing against Keflezighi, but he's like a ringer who you hire to work a couple hours at your office so that you can win the executive softball league."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33587668

Some of the readers make excellent points.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not born in America + funny sounding name = UnAmerican.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As many of the commenters pointed out, unless one is in fact Native American, we are all descended from immigrants.

I usually like Rovell, but it's clear what he's trying to say here; he just can't come out and say it, so he has to obscure it behind this poorly constructed facade.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

isn't it Darren Rovell, who used to work for ESPN? the way he said it may have been wrong but i think his point was no America doesn't have the next Bill Rodgers, this guy grew up in and trained in another country.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, the guy moved to America when he was 12, and only began training as a distance runner in high school. And he moved to America from Italy, where he had been a refugee.

But don't let the facts interfere with your argument. Rovell certainly didn't.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was junk. Stick to the biz stuff, Rovell.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet you that 75 percent of the American born citizens could not pass that citizenship test if it were plopped down in front of them.

But I agree with Rovell, the problem with America is that we are letting in and celebrating too many people of different races, religions and viewpoints.

I wish we all still were uptight white people wearing funny hats and boots, eating turkey and fearing God.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I actually remember him when he was a kid in high school down in San Diego. He also placed second representing the U.S. in the Olympics marathon event a few years ago.

I figured he immigrated at some point, but I always considered him an American.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The thread title understates it.

This could be a candidate for "Idiot Comment of the Year".

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

True, but I wanted to leave room for something like this: Rovell's latest post. http://www.cnbc.com/id/33603449

In it, he admits failing do research on Meb (what? and he still has a job?) then he tries to backpedal by saying: Oh, Meb learned to run here, so therefore he's American.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I wasn't making an argument there ace. I didn't see in his article where he was 12 when he moved to America. I was thinking if he was 20-something when he got here it's not the same as someone who went to high school and college and learned how to run in the US.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Actually, I heard on Glenn Beck that Meb was really born in Kenya.
    It was either Meb or some other guy with a weird name. Goddamn foreigners.

Draft saved Draft deleted