1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Identity theft

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Mwilliams685

Mwilliams685 Active Member

At this point, you gotta look out for you. It's your life that can get ruined by stuff like this, not theirs. If you don't feel comfortable continuing to talk to them about it, let the police investigation play out. If you get the solid evidence that it was him, do what you feel you need to do.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, yeah. But keep in mind he WAS being ripped off by a guy with the same name so his anger was understandable and his tune changed immediately after realizing the mistake.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

No. You should talk about it however much you need to resolve it.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

No, you must not ignore it and let it all go away quietly. Your mother should show equal concern for you, the victim in all of this.

The fact that she values her fake little family happiness over the fact you had your identity stolen by your brother, is pretty much bullshit. I'd shout it from the rooftops at ever family gathering for the rest of your life.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It can be difficult for parents to reconcile when their children, even as adults, do bad things. They feel as though it's a reflection on them: that they have failed in some significant way. Otherwise why would their child, someone they made and raised, make such an error in judgment? Sometimes it's easier to pretend the mistake never happened than to deal with the psychological fallout of the mistake. I suspect everyone is clinging to some tiny hope that the brother didn't do it.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I am hoping that too.

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Her answer is "Well, I can't do anything about it. Complaining isn't going to fix anything."

But you guys know me. I'm a complainer. It's what I do.

I'm all alone on this one, even though I'm the one who was wronged.
    If it was him, and again, I'm still hoping it wasn't because I'd hate to see his life ruined and I would feel somewhat guilty about it, he obviously didn't care about how it looked to the rest of us.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

You have a valid reason to complain. Your instincts are spot-on here.

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Any semi-decent human being would change their tune after realizing that mistake. I just have a low tolerance for people who act shitty, then ask questions later. Good on you if you were cool with how he rectified the situation. I would have done more if I were him.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not sure how much more a dry cleaner could do - but now I'm mad at myself for not asking more.

Dude was getting ripped off. Clerk went back and said (I'm guessing), "he's here!!" And the guy reacted.

Dry cleaning for life? First dibs on unclaimed clothes? ALL your money??

Tweener likes this.
  11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hinky means suspect or unreliable.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Hinky is a perfectly cromulent word.

amraeder likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted