1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Identifying Jenn Sterger

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by geddymurphy, Oct 12, 2010.

1. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Anyone else a little uncomfortable with ESPN and others (but especially ESPN) constantly referring to Jenn Sterger as a "former Jets employee" and not as a host of Versus' version (sort of) of SportsCenter?

Yes, that may be the context in which she and Favre met, and yes, she had an unconventional/controversial path to her current job. But it seems disingenuous to pretend she's not a member of the sports media.

I saw one report that called her "former Jets employee" and added that she "now works at Versus," as if she's an office assistant or something. Like it or not, she has a following as a sports TV personality.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She was a Jets employee when the incident happened. If she wasn't, this (arguably) isn't a story.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I didn't even know she works for Versus.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Swear to God, when I saw the thread title, I thought someone had sent Deadspin a cellphone pic of breasts and claimed they were Jenn Sterger's

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jets employee sounds a lot better than "that whore from FSU."

6. Are you sure?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought it was going to be a discussion on whether it was proper to identify her by name, i.e. analogizing her to a sexual assault victim.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought it was either a title of an NCIS episode or that they had found Jenn floating in the East River.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Heard some professor on Outside the Lines today lamenting that every time the media shows a photo of her, it's always something with cleavage and tight clothes, further victimizing her by depicting her as a sexual object.

Honestly, I would love to know if another type of Jenn Sterger photo actually exists.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll let you know when I find one.

11. Schottey

Schottey Guest

It is possible to divorce the discussion of her journalistic value and the possible crime/harassment that Brett Favre committed. Much like the Ines Sainz indecent, it isn't necessary to mention Playboy pictures or show revealing pictures of Sterger.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Actually, it might indeed be necessary to show her in revealing pictures, because I'm not sure any other kind exists. Seriously. Just throw the name into the google and hit images.

And in no way am I commenting on her journalistic value or career accomplishments.

Draft saved Draft deleted