1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Identifying commonly-known people

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by The Sundance Kid, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I never assume people know who everyone is. So on first ref at least say Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel. After that, just call him Mr. Sweater Vest.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Head coach of what? The badmitton team? The bocce ball club?

Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel.

After that, Tressel. If you're fixin' for a libel suit and you work at a newspaper with heavy readership in Ann Arbor, feel free to call him douchebag on later refs. :p

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

The artist formerly known as Prince

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Rickey Henderson's strike zone is as small as former German Furor Adolf Hitler's heart....

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What's with all the furor over Hitler?

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

The phrase "head coach" is one of my pet peeves. I prefer just "coach" and then "assistant coach," "linebackers coach," etc. etc. I think there are coaches and then assistants.

Just like "basketball" and "women's basketball" but that's another thread :)

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Depends on your publication and audience, of course. However, for practical purposes, I think you answer the question for yourself in the thread title. If the figure is "commonly known" it isn't typically necessary. I consistently edit stuff like "New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter" in ledes to shorten them. Sometimes I like to drop it in an attribution later in the story: "..," the Yankees' shortstop said.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

He was OK at first, but then he went too far. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted