1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ideas for a salad...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Nov 8, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I call bull... You can't live on Da Range without eating it.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

In reference to the ranch dressing, I love me some ranch but have found that using lowfat cottage cheese in place of dressing is very very good...

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I've never eaten cottage cheese. Looks way too repulsive. I've heard some say it's good, but I just can't do it.

So what's this hot dish? I'm presuming it's a casserole since it's heated and upper midwestern. Any specific ingredients?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think ranch is tasty.

I just don't think it should go on EVERYTHING.

And trust me, if you've worked in an American resaurant, you know that the vast majority of people would eat a turd, so long as it was:

1. Deep fat fried, preferably in oil that's under 375, so that the grease really soaks in.

2. Soaked in double it's actual weight in ranch dressing.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll take your non-denial as admission you have swallowed Henley's seed.

6. writing irish

Wow. I thought we only had that epicurean malady in Texas. Sorry to know it's so widespread.

Now dammit, WTF ess der hott desch? Zeke, you're from up there, I'm sure you can tell me.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Simple Italian Summer Salad.

Cucumber
    Tomato
    Sweet Onion

Garlic Salt
    Pepper

Olive Oil
    Apple Cider Vinegar

Quarter the cuke, then slice to 1/4". Cube the tomato. Chop the onions - fine or coarse, as you prefer. Add garlic salt (use something good like Lawry's) and fresh ground pepper to taste. Add olive oil - in proportion to batch size - enough to coat all. Add cider vinegar to taste. Toss.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Hot dish is most any, well, hot dish, consisting of pasta or rice, veggies and meat. Canned tomatoes or cream of mushroom soup is a popular addition -- and cream of mushroom soup is almost mandatory in any good hot dish. Toss it all together, throw it in the over for an hour or so and tada!

Hot dish.

And yes Zeke, my tuna noodle hot dish is the best in the state. :)

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Still not as good as Josh McCown's. :D

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Hot dish.

Well, it's casserole, but one can't say casserole; that'd be puttin on airs.

As Rosie says, it's starch, veg, meat and cream of mushroom soup, mixed and poured into a greased baking dish and popped into the oven at 350 until heated through and crispy on top -- and, btw, the all-time best version of tuna noodle has crushed Lays potato chips on top.

Despite the fact that many terrible hot dishes made up many terrible dinners of my youth, I still get a craving and, thus, make, both tuna noodle hot dish (tuna, egg noodles, cream of mushroom, can of mushrooms, frozen peas and aforementioned crushed Lays) and tater tot hot dish (tater tots, cream of mushroom, ground beef, can o corn) often, especially during the winter.

11. writing irish

Are you white?

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

White?

No.

Black Irish.

Draft saved Draft deleted