1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idaho trooper harasses old man due to Colorado license plate (with video)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DeskMonkey1, Apr 16, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I got into a Facebook pissing match with an officer once over a trigger-happy officer and he (the officer) pretty much said his only concern was him and his fellow officers getting home in the same condition they came to work in, consequences be damned. It's certainly understandable but it took it to the extreme of an officer should be allow to take any force necessary, up to and including deadly force on an innocent person if the officer felt threatened.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If you haven't done anything wrong, why consent to being treated like someone who has?

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be a problem if you've nothing to hide.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Good God. Are people really taking TSP seriously?

Do you also think Colbert is not satire?

Do you believe Dick when he suggests we make law based on the idea that it may save one life?

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I did at first but when he repeated himself the first time, I realized his gimmick.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Having covered crime in southern Idaho, I assure you the state police have unofficial "citizen interaction" quotas to meet every month because I've heard plenty of troopers bitch about having to meet them by pulling people over for bullshit reasons. They're the decent ones who get a bad rep from the few assholes. Let's not pretend it doesn't exist everywhere just because no commanding officer has ever admitted to this on record.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

To meet that quota, can't they just go to school assemblies with McGruff the crime dog? ;)

8. TopSpin

TopSpin Member

Out of state drivers going through Idaho should have N.W.A.'s "Straight Outta Compton" CD handy in their vehicles with track No. 2 ready to roll when the trooper walks up.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Unless you were a student, in the military, or had moved less than 30 days before getting pulled over he could have written you a ticket. It sounds like the cop was giving you a warning and suggesting you get that taken care of instead of writing you a ticket. That's not "giving you the business."

In my jurisdiction, driving on an out-of-state license if you've been in the state for more than 30 days is the same as not having a drivers license and is an offense for which the officer would be within his rights to arrest you. The officers in my community wouldn't do that, but in some parts of the state they will.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"FOR THIS REASON WAS MAN CREATED ALONE, TO TEACH THEE THAT WHOSOEVER DESTROYS A SINGLE SOUL... SCRIPTURE IMPUTES [GUILT] TO HIM AS THOUGH HE HAD DESTROYED A COMPLETE WORLD; AND WHOSOEVER PRESERVES A SINGLE SOUL..., SCRIPTURE ASCRIBES [MERIT] TO HIM AS THOUGH HE HAD PRESERVED A COMPLETE WORLD."

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I got a speeding ticket coming back from basketball practice in high school. Like an idiot, since I didn't have pockets, I had left my wallet at home with my license in it. I forget exactly how it went down, but the officer ran some sort of verification involving my fingerprints and sent me on my way with a (deserved) ticket.

Granted, I was a clean-cut white kid, so that affected how it went down. I can't recall the exact process or conversation, but given what I remember of myself at the time - I was the kid who would essentially give myself up when the cops showed up - I can't imagine I was anything but obsequiously respectful.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This whole thing took on a Saturday Night Live skit quality.
    The guy was an idiot to even talk to the cop. He should have told
    cop that he would not going to speak. Also should have asked if
    he was free to go once cop looked at his license.

It's the advise that parents should drum into their teens heads. The cop is
    not your friend. If ever stopped don't talk to them.

Draft saved Draft deleted