1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Idaho trooper harasses old man due to Colorado license plate (with video)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DeskMonkey1, Apr 16, 2014.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

The officer then asks him, "Why are you so worried about me if you're not violating any laws of the state or this country - why are you so concerned about me?" Roseen responds, "Because I want to get on the road and just get home."

The officer then tells him, "OK, well, I'm telling you with what I'm seeing today, that is not going to happen. Because I believe that you have something in this vehicle that you shouldn't have. … You're obviously nervous about whatever it is. … I am going to find whatever it is, I can assure you of that."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/04/12/3130740/troopers-camera-yields-details.html?sp=/99/101/102/

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That's some great stuff, DeskMonkey ... dug up by a really good reporter.

We really know how to roll out the welcome mat in the Gem State.

Up here in the panhandle, the Idaho State Police are very aggressive about targeting drug trafficking on I-90, a 70-mile span of interstate highway between marijuana-legal Washington and medical marijuana-legal Montana.

There's a short stretch of 55 mph highway on I-90 in Idaho, and usually speeding or some other dinky moving violation is enough to prompt a pull-over which leads to a big drug bust.

If they're targeting every car with Washington plates and drivers who look like they dig pot ... well, they're going to have to hire more state troopers. :p

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Was there ever a time when cops actually served and protected, or is that just a huge myth like "liberty and justice for all"?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually been out there for a couple of weeks.

http://kdvr.com/2014/03/28/colorado-man-files-suit-idaho-state-police-accused-of-license-plate-profiling/

Sports radio host (and former NFL player) Alfred Williams said on the air yesterday that when he drove to Houston a couple of days ago, he was pulled over twice and was told it was because cops were running a marijuana sting in the area.

Kansas is notorious for license plate profiling.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2013/03/marijuana_profiling_colorado_kansas.php

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I have actually been thinking of how to tell my kids to handle traffic stops, which they will probably be experiencing in the not-too-distant future. "Do what the cop says and everything will be OK" doesn't seem like very good advice anymore.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Make dashcams mandatory.

7. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I was hesitant to post this for the "Oh, you're just looking for examples" reaction from the pro-cop side but I was disturbed by the "(you going home) isn't going to happen because I believe you have something" line.

This guy is truly lucky the trooper didn't just plant something because he had his feeling hurt when he didn't find something

8. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Teach them their rights and to be polite, but firm. Provide your name, license, registration and answer the basic question about where you're headed, where you were going. Politely decline anything further, whether its a search or additional questioning.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Agreed. Keep them honest.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You mean all parents need to have, "The Talk," with their kids?

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you have an out-of-state plate (especially in Illinois) and you're driving in Wisconsin in the summer, watch your speeding ass, because the cops there are eager as hell to pull you over.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Can't say as I'm surprised. I used to make regular trips to Boise from eastern Oregon (it had the only Borders for a couple hundred miles) and consistently had Idaho troopers tailing me even though I was under the speed limit, not swerving and had all my lights in good working order.

Anything to keep the state coffers topped up, I suppose.

Draft saved Draft deleted